Saturday, June 09, 2007

Pier 14


Late afternoon shadows
San Francisco, CA, March 2007 [Click all images to enlarge]

The sun does remarkable things when it first appears in the morning and again when it winks out at the end of the day. The low-angled light paints memorable pictures in ways that just aren't apparent around midday. So when I walked onto San Francisco's Pier 14 in the late afternoon and saw the shadows, I knew I had stumbled on something worth capturing.

I also have a particular fondness for repeating patterns (see here and here for past examples) so I hung around the railings for a little while longer and appreciated their shape.

While I was there, a couple of businessmen walked up to me and asked me if I was some sort of famous photographer. They seemed genial enough, so I bantered with them for a bit while I shot. They offered to take my picture, but I politely declined: first, I prefer to be behind the lens and not in front of it. Second, the thought of handing my camera to complete strangers makes me cringe. Not gonna happen. Ever.

So off they went. And when they got out of frame, I took this image of a seemingly abandoned stretch of land that wouldn't exist without the genius of some marine engineers and the dedication of a group of long-gone construction workers. Jutting out into an endlessly beautiful body of water, it's the kind of place I'd come back to again and again if I lived here.

Your turn: Where do you return to time and again for inspiration?

10 comments:

Christine said...

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one up late tonight. :) I like pictures of patterns as well. Your photos are just inspiring - and Bubblehead has taken my camera with him to Asia. Ah well, I should be sleeping anyway!

Anna said...

Love that second shot up close Carmi. Very nice. I consider everything around me to be fair game as far as photography even if I have captured it before. I always come out with a different perspective.

Enjoy your Sunday!

CG said...

Lovely...I can't wait to be in SF again myself to take some photos!!

kenju said...

The patterns are very good, Carmi, and I am sure Anna will love them!
The ocean gives me inspiration, as well as the deep woods on a warm, breezy day. Both inspire serenity and a love of nature.

Lifelong Learner said...

When I actually have my camera, I look around for the type of picture you would take. So I have a challenge for you. Next time you're in a stationary store, I'd love to see what you come up with. (Do they allow pictures in stationary stores?) I was walking around one here and saw a couple of "Carmi" type pictures. :)

craziequeen said...

Do I return anywhere time and time again?
Not really - but I have found a fantastic place....it's just a little way away, so I doubt I'll be returning too much.....
We used to go to the same hotel in Tunisia year after year, because it was so restful.

There are very few photos of me out there...I hate having my photo taken too.

cq
Michele sent me to say hi :-)

Anonymous said...

yay linework I did a few cool pieces of line study when I still had my digital.

Anonymous said...

Here's the link to the post with the line work photos.

http://relocatedwriting.blogspot.com/2007/06/for-carmi.html

Jean-Luc Picard said...

They were really well captured. Well thought out.

Michele sent me.

Anonymous said...

Has it ever occurred to you that new airports look more and more alike, with emphasis on architectural parallels and patterns? Lots of natural light spilling into the interior and casting intricate shadows. Just a thought.