Wednesday, June 13, 2007

One man only


Early morning walker
Shanghai, China, May 2007 [Click to zoom in]


This stretch of pavement is usually choked with people. But not at 5:36 a.m. At this time of day, the streetscape enjoys an all-too-brief break from the frenetic activity that usually defines it.

The sun rises very early here, around 4 a.m., thanks to the Chinese government's policy of using one time zone for the entire country. It's tough to figure out the exact sunrise because the sky becomes increasingly choked with smog the closer you get to the horizon. But when it's bright enough to shoot without using ridiculously long exposure times, it's easy to assume that the sun's already up, somewhere behind that skyborne wall of gray-brown.

From 66 floors up, I wonder where this person is going. I realize I know so little about the realities of life on the street as I enjoy the perks of a luxurious, westernized hotel. I wish I knew more of the language so that I could get a little closer. I'd like to appreciate more thoroughly what it is to live here. Maybe on my next trip.

Sometimes, a 300mm lens is long enough to capture the picture, but not necessarily the story behind it.

Your turn: So, your turn to take over...what's this guy's story?

9 comments:

Chad Oneil Myers said...

I have no idea what his story is.

I like your style, Carmi. I think our styles are similar. If you're ever down here in central Florida for a job or something, let me know. I would love to shoot with you.

Anonymous said...

he has to take a pee!
It's early and none of the buildings are operating for the public just yet. He was contemplating urinating on a building, but, had a strange feeling that someone was watching him....maybe even taking his photograph...he walked quickly hoping he wouldn't wet himself like a child before finding a private place to find relief for his bladder.

grace,
T
here via tara's

craziequeen said...

He's a postman....a milkman.....

Perhaps he has a young family and is trying to increase his opportunities at work by turning up early.....

Perhaps he has a young family and is going to work early 'cos the baby woke him at 3am......

Perhaps he is not starting his day, as you were, but is finishing a long tiring shift and strolling home.......

You picture was excellent, I knew immediately it was one of those 'from the roof' shots you mentioned......I instantly felt vertigo as I looked at it..... :-)

cq

David Edward said...

looking for the keys to his bicycle

Anonymous said...

I love this shot. And, I am gonna say he is going to work. My Dh used to get up at 4:00 am to get to work.

Anna said...

He is probably rethinking getting up so early! :)

Bernie said...

Always love your photos...
But, are you sure he is alone??
Is he/she actually out walking a tiny puppy??
Just a thought....
Here from Michele's this fine Sydney morning (not for long as there are a storms approaching...)
Bernie

Michael K. Althouse said...

That's a long way down!

He's walking to work to support his young family. He's might be a blue-collar manual laborer or possibly a white-collar executive that must be very early due to global time differences. Either way, he's got they whole world to himself at the moment.

Mike

Melody said...

He is going to try and walk in a straight line walk while he can! By the sounds of it, it won't be long before that stretch of path is packed with other people.