Sunday, June 17, 2007

Caption This 23


Please come up with a caption for this image [See below for details]
Shanghai, China, May 2007 [Click to enlarge]


Some of the most compelling images from my recent trip to China were of the people I randomly caught in the street. Some were quirky, some were sweet, while others were funny, and even a little bit sad. But few came close to haunting me. Except for this one

I don't know what compelled me to raise my point-and-shoot camera when I saw this man shuffle past. I didn't think twice...I just shot. One second, one image, and then he was gone, the folks who either looked or looked away also vanishing into oblivion.

Your turn: Please pop into comments and share your caption suggestion for this image. You can post as many as you want - extra points for keeners, don't ya know?

One more thing: Rules for Caption This, a weekly feature on my blog, can be found here. Last week's image of a parent-and-child street sign garnered many wonderful responses. In the end, there can be only one winner because, well, just because. And that winner is Rachel, who pens the excellent blog, Sliding through life. Her caption, "Together we can," hit a nerve with me. Thanks, Rachel...and good luck, everyone, this week.

Oops, make that two: Although I'm not a huge fan of commercially-focused holidays, I can't ignore the fact that Father's Day gives us a chance to stop for a moment and think about the connections we make with our children and with our parents. Once we get past the holiday hype, this is a holiday whose real worth is measured by the time we spend together as a family. And if that inspires us to hold times like this dear for the other 364 days of the year, then I'm willing to overlook the Hallmarkness of it. Yeah, I invented another word. Oops. Off I go to contemplate what the morning will bring as our three excited kids wake to a day of adventure with their mom and dad. Whatever day it is, I'm lucky to have all this.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carmi.

Thanks for stopping by.

I am horrid at captions. But I love the photo.

~K!

Michael K. Althouse said...

"Only 193 shopping days left..."

Michele sent me,

Mike

Christine said...

Oh, poor man! Sure looks like he could use a hand! Bubblehead is in China right now - hopefully taking as many great pictures to share with me as you did! (I'm sorry - I'm terrible at captions, too!)

LK said...

Your photos are amazing. I'm also terrible at captions but I guess I'd go with something like:

"Just one step at a time.."

It just seems like that could be the thought going through his head at that moment.

craziequeen said...

ooh, this is a really deep photo...you know what really stirred me? The saucepan in his right hand - definitely carrying his whole life with him....

Sweetie - life in the raw doesn't ever come with captions..... :-(

cq

Anna said...

Have a wonderful day Carmi....and I love the new word! :)

David Edward said...

A happy day to a great young father, from an old one.
this time the caption is harder to create due to the serious subject, but I will try:

Duct taped, but still dignified.

Rachel said...

Hi Carmi! I can't believe I won the other caption! I won one on another blog recently!! Quite amazing for me as I am not good at captioning!!

This picture makes me sad. I just want to help that man carry those bags, the poor fellow. What a struggle he is having.

A caption...let's see...."One step at a time."

"Struggling on."

"God help me to put one foot in front of the other."

"Give me strength."

Well, I think I like the last one best!

Beverly said...

And a happy Father's Day to you. My son celebrates Father's Day every day with his little Ella, as you suggest. It is nice, though, to have that "Hallmark" moment, and yes, I do like your new word.

kenju said...

"Where there's a will, there's a way"......

b13 said...

"After his truck was stolen and ankles broken, 'Fred Ford-San' still had to get his junk to the Chinese market."

Sara said...

I just need one more bag

Sara said...

from my office mate, "I think I can I think I can"

Sara said...

from my other office mate, "perfectly balanced"

awareness said...

"The arduous steps of humanity"

"Struggling humanity"

"Tired determined soul"

This man breaks my heart. what a difficult struggle he has.....and who knows how long his struggle has been.....perhaps his whole life.

Nestor Family said...

Everyone is on their own journey through life... my caption idea is:


Make room. Let the man through.

JC said...

They ain't heavy, they're my brother's...

longspider said...

"Crutching Humanity"

Gyrobo said...

"Weight of the World on His Shoulders."

awareness said...

Am thinking about Neil Armstrong's famous quote when he first stepped on the moon......

here's a twist on that.

"When will we take the one giant step for mankind?"