Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Look up in the sky


Scene from a backyard
London, Ontario, June 2007 [Click to embiggen]


It's 7:48 p.m. I'm out back with the kids and the dog. The BBQ is slowly getting our dinner ready, its puffs of smoke gently making us hungry as we enjoy the beautiful evening. I look up in the sky and notice how the cloud formations are being backlit by the setting sun. It's been a warm, humid day, so the drama in the atmosphere is easy to spot even with the naked eye.

But naked eyes don't have terribly good memories. I'm sure I'll remember this moment, but it would be a lot easier if I had a picture to prompt me. Luckily the camera's just inside the patio door. I reach for it, flip it into full manual and slightly underexpose the metering to ensure the cool rays in the sky don't get washed out.

Our daughter says she thinks she sees a face as she squints in the same direction of my lens, but I'm not so sure. What do you think?

I take the picture, then go back to finishing up on the BBQ before our meal burns. Another small moment in our ongoing adventure.

Your turn: What are the first three words that come to mind when you first see this image? Don't think it over too much...just blurt 'em out.

25 comments:

Carina said...

I hope it's not offensive to you, but the first three words I thought of were:


The Second Coming

I just looks so glorious and literally Divine.

Carina said...

It, that is. Not I. Changes the meaning there, doesn't it. Oops. =)

D.O.M. Dan said...

God that's beautiful.

tommie said...

Good night sun.....

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Yep, there's a face.

And a dog, too.

(okay, seven words and two thoughts. What did you want from a novelist? Brevity?)

Anonymous said...

I didn't see a face, but I believe children can see things we can't.

To me, it looked like a glistening sheet beneath the clouds. Not as fun as a face.

Margaret said...

I see a bear. That's 4 words, don't kick me out.

Diane Mandy said...

Let there be light.

I know it's 4 words, but it's what came to mind.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It's more than three words: "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"...I always think in song titles....LOL!

Lovely my dear Carmi, just lovely!

Carli N. Wendell said...

The Muppet Movie.
(IT starts with a shot very much like this.)

Sara said...

Here it comes

Lori said...

Heaven's celestial glow.

And I think I see a dog's profile at the far left side!

JP (mom) said...

God, tendrils, light
I love how the edges of the clouds are reaching out ... amazing photo ~JP

kenju said...

Magnificent pic, Carmi. I never have my camera when I see those. I love the rays of the sun fanning out above the clouds.

Autumn said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.
I like the way that the sun is shining through the clouds. Very beautiful.

Linda said...

Something I ALWAYS say when I see the sun's rays come thru the clouds in such a way:

Fingers of God

See my blog and my St. Louis Arch for one of my "fingers of God" pictures. Of course, mine is taken with a small point-and-shoot digital...but I still love it!

And I do completely see the face!

Bobkat said...

Incredible sun light!

Fantastic photo!

If you pop over to my blog then you might just bump into some familiar blogfriends at my virtual birthday party :)

Marion said...

Only one word comes to mind, Carmi...hope.

This is a beautiful photo!

Michael K. Althouse said...

Bigger than I.

Michele sent me,

Mike

Prego said...

snow. mom. plane.

i used to think clouds were piles of snow waiting to drop down this winter.

also, the last time i flew my son tried to look out the window to see if he can spot his deceased grandma past the clouds. my glass eye is fogging over, bro.


love,
p

here via michele

Anonymous said...

fire,

A bear...

and beautiful!

caramaena said...

Simply stunning pic.

Elaine said...

This is wonderful!

JunieRose2005 said...

I thought-
Dramatic - Bold - Beautiful!!

I love looking at the sky-in all it's different colors!


Junie Rose

Anonymous said...

After having shared a few similar type photos with you several months ago, I guess you already know that I find this one spectacular....no two shots are identical...it's possible to just go on shooting sky/cloud/sunlight photos for hours on end. This one is especially stunning. Radiant.
Energizing. (Thank you for sharing.) There you are cooking outside in the summer warmth, and it seems like only yesterday that you were posting photos of snow & icicles!! :) Aren't the 4 seasons just amazing? And inspiring?