Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Thematic Photographic 51 - Single

The One
London, ON
May 2009
[Click to enlarge]


I've chosen "single" as this week's Thematic Photographic theme because I've always believed simplicity trumps complexity.

When I was teenaged wannabe-writer looking for guidance, the most treasured advice I received along the way was from an editorial writing professor who hammered home the need to focus on one thing. He'd often repeat the term, "The One" with a flash in his eye and a wave of his hand - his point being that if you focused on one thing only and rigidly-brutally kept things wrapped around that one core thesis, you'd end up with a much more powerful, emotionally effective message.

He sadly passed on just over five years ago (see blog post) but his lesson lives on in me and so many other working journalists. Whenever I write, or shoot, or speak, I start with the one thing I want folks to remember, then build a storyline around that. If it doesn't directly connect, support or feed off of that central core, it gets tossed.

Brutal, I know. But necessary.

Your turn: For the next week, please share photos that illustrate this "single" theme. As ever, the picture can be literal, figurative, or a mixture of the two. Let your imagination wander with this one: I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. If you're new to Thematic Photographic, here's a primer:
  • Every Wednesday evening, at precisely 7 o'clock Eastern, I post a new Thematic Photographic entry.
  • Each entry has a unique theme. This week's is...single!
  • You post a similarly themed image over on your blog.
  • You paste a link to your entry in a comment here.
  • If you've already posted something that fits (on a blog, Facebook, MySpace, wherever) simply post the link to the existing entry. Old or new, all photos are welcome.
  • You may post as many photos or links as you wish. For the next week, I'll be supporting this theme with a related picture/posting each day. I encourage you to do the same. This is all about sharing, so feel free to share to your heart's content!
  • Please share this link with friends, too, and encourage them to join in. The more, the merrier.
  • And please accept my thanks for your enthusiasm. Your participation has made TP a true highlight for me each and every week.

21 comments:

Mozi Esme said...

Thanks for passing on his advice! Great post...

Mojo said...

"The One". Oh how elusive is that concept in so many areas of life. Other than being a kick-butt song by the Foo Fighters I mean.

But your teacher made a perfect point (allegorically illustrated by the point in your photo I suppose?) about sticking to the ... point.

No self portrait today (you can all exhale now) though I wouldn't mind having the money to be in this shot for real...

Thematic Photographic 51: "Single" v.1.0

Martha said...

Mine is up! Sorry for the combo this week...
http://meandering-martha.blogspot.com/2009/05/im-really-pushing-it-with-combos.html

Jama said...

Mine just up, here it is:

http://mummyjam.blogspot.com/

tapirgal said...

I love what your teacher said about focusing on one. It's probably one :) reason I like City Daily Photo. It's a discipline for me to put up one photo per day on my Astoria blog! Of course, I go crazy on my other blogs, but feels good to do this with the Astoria pix. And sometimes it takes a lot longer to do a post of only one thing! I enjoyed my visit.

Amanda Guthrie said...

We could all learn from your former professor's message, I have spent the last few years writing so much I can understand the message and the benefits that can come from the concept.
Mine is up......

Glennis said...

I have one!!! This is a fun theme, because there are many many meanings to the word Single.

www.doves2day.blogspot.com

srp said...

I was thinking that that pencil lead looked well used.... and that perhaps, in addition to writing with keyboard and computer, you still love to use the simple instrument, the pencil. Some writers cannot part or function without their old fashion hunt and peck typewriters... are you a pencil writer???

Mine is up here.

Glennis said...

Carmi - in my excitement over getting a post up I neglected to mention - your story accompanying this photo was really wonderful. What a great lesson, and a great touchstone to someone for writing or making the kind of work that art and photography is.

Catherine said...

I love the simple elegance of your photo, Carmi. For mine, I went through my files pondering photos of birds (plenty of those) or "lone tree in a barren landscape" (several of those), and then settled on cute furry animals(two photos, one animal per photo!)

Love 2Bs said...

Posted one from the archives here:
http://tinyurl.com/pkjnl8

I'll be keeping my eyes open for more ones, and post some on Monday :-)

Bobkat said...

'The One' is like an analogy for life really isn't it as it starts with one person and everything else is wrapped around them from their perspective.

Hope all is well with you and yours over the ocean. I had a sad time and it took me away from blogging for a bit along with work but I'll hopefully be popping back more often when I can.

cakesANDladders said...

simple shot but very effective!:)

Lulda Casadaga said...

There is something so lovely about a sharpened pencil...it just isn't the same when it gets dull! OK, I'm on my search for the single theme photo. :)

Mojo said...

Back again! I've been awiting for a chance to use this shot, and this seemed like the perfect time.

Thematic Photographic 51: "Single" v.2.0

Cuidado said...

Took me a while to get here. I had to strongly resist putting up a photo of me for this challenge. I am single.

Flowers usually come in bunches and are indeed pretty that way but a single flower had it's beauty and charm as well.

http://photosandpursuits.blogspot.com/2009/05/single.html

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

It also took me a while to choose, I had so many things that could pass as single but then I found this little gem that made me sad.

Here is Mine

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I took my photo for this theme a few days ago, but have only just got around to posting it - Single.

Just Jinny said...

Here is my 'single' shot:

http://realworldgirl.blogspot.com/2009/05/thematic-photographic-51-single.html

Glennis said...

More singletons - I've got another post up on this theme.

www.doves2day.blogspot.com

Glennis said...

Another type of single. I think some of you might like it.

www.doves2day.blogspot.com