Thursday, May 14, 2009

He thinks he's human


Watchdog
London, ON, April 2009

About this photo: As part of Thematic Photographic, our weekly photo-theme nuttiness, we're supporting the human theme (click here for more.) I realize this entry seems to be about a dog. I'll venture it's about humanity, and how something as small as a dog can bring out the best in his biped companions.
I've come to the conclusion that our dog, Frasier, will never win best in show at any National Kennel Club-sanctioned competition. If there's a provincial competition, he won't win there, either. Come to think of it, if they held a competition for all the dogs on our block, he'd lose that, too. Assuming he'd qualify. Which is highly doubtful.

Yet for all his imperfections - his bark can wake someone sleeping three blocks away, he eats garbage, he scratches at the front door, he jumps up at the dinner table, he steals comforters and he smells like dog - I can't imagine our family without him. He has a goodness about him that's endlessly endearing. The world can suck sometimes thanks to people who seem to revel in meanness, yet this unpredictable little being manages to balance it all off with a demeanor that begins and ends with happy.

And on this day, he was happy. The kids were off from school and had invited some friends over. We went to the park for some runaround time, and while we were there he calmly sat beside me and watched them play. Didn't freak out at the other kids. Didn't bark. Didn't bolt. He just sat there like the perfect dog he so often is not. Even the neighborhood moms seemed to like him.

As I write this, he's barking at the patio door - probably saw a bird fly by - and has already barfed up the chicken scraps he found at the bottom of a Hefty bag. As annoying as he can be, I can't help but think that the good little heart in there makes our decision to bring him home the smartest one we've made in a while.

Your turn: What makes a dog good?

20 comments:

Mojo said...

What makes a dog good? Simple. Being a dog. They bear no grudges, need little, want even less, and give back even the tiniest bit of affection multiplied by orders of magnitude.

Somebody once said that if you want to know who your real friend is, try this experiment: lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of the car. Then come back in an hour and see which one's happy to see you.

I'll take my Tonka over almost any human friend I have. Because I know without a shadow of a glimmer of doubt that he's gonna have my back no matter what. He isn't perfect, in fact listening to you describe Frasier (other than the garbage eating part anyway) you could've been talking about the Tonka Unit. He's got a heart of solid gold and a head of solid bone, but he's my bonehead and there's no sum of money worth more than that to me.

Thematic Photographic 49: "Human" v.2.0

Carolyn R. Parsons said...

It's the unconditional love. If you're late they never give you grief, heck even the cat gets put out if I'm away too long, but the pooch just loves me no matter what, and he's a neurotic little yapper(cockapoo) but sweet thing.

Breeze

srp said...

A dog knows when you need them to just sit by your side and when you need a snuggle... he/she are more than happy to oblige you with either, even if they would rather be chasing a squirrel.

awareness said...

After what we've been through on this end in the last couple of weeks, I'm not touching that "good dog" question! Gracie's absence and our inability to make it work with her in this house continues to linger heavily. No matter how good or bad they are, my goodness they get under your skin!!

This is a wonderful photo.... I can feel how alertly responsible Fraser was being watching his "brood" play.

Anonymous said...

My pup is a crazy nut, but he is the most lovable doggy ever. He truly acts more like my baby than my puppy. We would be lost without him.

invisible said...

I agree with Mojo. What makes a dog good? Not being human. Dogs and cats are everything good that humans claim to be, and try to be, but often fail.
I would never lock my wife or my dog in the trunk. It is however,a great place to put the kids if you want to get a couple of hours of peace and quite.( Time you can then spend with the wife and dog)

Cloudia said...

"the good little heart in there makes our decision to bring him home the smartest one we've made in a while."

You answered your own question!
Aloha

Lulda Casadaga said...

Their unconditional love...along with their licks, leg humping, barking, farts and watching them dream and run! :D

Ok, gotta go now and find some cute, lovable pics!

Laurie said...

As a brand new dog owner, I am just learning the ropes of the canine world. I already love the fact that I seem to be the best sight he's EVER seen as I walk through the door after work --well, any time I happen to walk into the room, actually! It's like I'm a celebrity (without all the rehab!)

lissa said...

The little annoyances (barking incessantly - and insistently - whenever I'm on the phone, for example) are deeply missed and yearned for in times of worry. Theo's back problems flared up this week, and he is just now beginning to come back to his usual perky self - but still not quite Theo yet. I cannot wait till he gets into some papers, or barks till I yell, "enough!" again. Though...when he's feeling better, I won't yell "enough"...I'll revel in the sound.

This week's concern, to the point of fighting - and losing to - tears all day Tuesday, has shown me just how much this 8-1/2 pound hairball brings to my life. He is a deeply loved, loving, sweet and funny companion, and I can't wait till he is back to bugging me no end.

awareness said...

Hey Carmi! I finished a piece I had started writing a couple of weeks ago...it fit the theme of the week, and tried to find the right photos too. So...here is my second post! Gee, maybe I should keep up with you this week and post on humans all week?!

http://mayfairplace.blogspot.com/2009/05/human-fingerprints.html

Unknown said...

I love my cat than my dogs because my cat is much lovable than my dogs. But when it comes to my safety my dogs is always there for me. My cat is always sleeping...lol

cactus petunia said...

What makes a dog so doggone good? They teach us something every day. They remind us how important it is to be in the moment. To notice EVERYTHING, to be loyal to the people you love, to forgive and forget quickly, and to chase every squirrel that crosses your path.

My two knuckleheaded pups remind me of all these things, every single day, and I love 'em for it.

bobbie said...

I love the dog's eye view this photo presents. Yes, I do believe many of our pets think they are human - or that we are dogs. who knows which?

MaR said...

I don't have pets so pls do tell me! Tanya sent me to say hello, Carmi, enjoy your weekend

Sara said...

Carmi,

It's been a while since I commented...but seeing Frazier _ I just had to say that you do a beautiful job of describing life with him...and your love for him certainly shows through.

I still miss my dogs and wish they could live with me - but they can't - But, I still have my cat Killian...

BTW I have a new website -

http://fabricnfiberfanatic.com

Later!

MorahMommy said...

You mean Frasier isn't human? I don't know what we would do without that sweet little boy!

Nabeel said...

this is a very clever shot. I love the depth of field in this photo. We can almost see the way your watchdog sees the world

Unknown said...

sniff, sniff...I miss my Charlie-Boy!

Sigh.

I do have two women in a garden posted for the Human theme you've got going.

Have a great weekend.

Roman said...

Okay, I want a frontal shot of Frasier because he looks pretty freakin' cute from the back. Hehe.