Saturday, May 16, 2009

Welcoming the day


At peace
Deerfield Beach, FL, December 2008


I admit feeling somewhat small whenever I stand beside a major body of water. That feeling is intensified when I'm privileged enough to be there at the beginning or end of the day. A visit to the east coast at sunrise is almost mythical, as you get to be among the first to welcome the new day. As you face the brightening sky, there's a twinge in your subconscious that subtly reminds you of all the sleeping folks behind you who are missing out on the moment.

I hope they get a chance to be here some morning soon, as despite the massive distances involved, it's clearly a very human-scaled way to start the day.

Your turn: My mind raced as I tried to imagine this gentleman's story. What's your take on how he came to be here?

10 comments:

David Edward said...

" i spent all night looking for my car keys in the sand,God, if you ever let me get home, I will never drink tequila again"

tiff said...

He has a major chakra thing going on. Well done sir!

Presentstorm said...

he came out early in the morning to sit and just be in the presence of God? Super early in the morning.. watching the sunrise above a massive body of water can be very humbling indeed.

kenju said...

I think, due to the position of his hands, that he is meditating. Ommmmmm.......

Z said...

David's comment is SO funny it threw anything I had to say off! GOOD one!

"Please, God...let me NOT think about politics for just FIVE MINUTES?"

that would be ME, anyway!

super shot...thanks, Carmi

invisible said...

He just lost his job at the investment bank. His house was foreclosed on. His wife left him for a drummer in a Goth band.
His dog bit him, and he has a strange rash in his nether regions.
In about three days they will find what is left of his bloated corpse that has not been eaten by alligators.
It's okay though, he was a bit of a dick anyway.

David Edward said...

i can't help myself: He is telling the sunrise, "netchick sent me".

srp said...

If he is like those I have seen, he is centering himself for the day. Some run on the beach with their dogs, others go for an early morning swim, before the lifeguards and the sunbathers. Nyssa and I went to see the sunrise. I am fortunate and must confess that I don't take advantage of it very often... the fact that the Atlantic is only a 15 minute drive away. Of course I could say the same if living in the mountains of Colorado... how often would I take advantage of those sunrises over the Rockies.... sadly, not often enough.

Mojo said...

Having witnessed more than a few sunrises and sunsets over the ocean, I can tell ya... it's enough to make even the most agnostic meditative. However he came to be here, and whether or not this is his habit is immaterial. You simply can't watch the sun come or go by the ocean and not feel the presence of something much greater than yourself. And this excellent shot captures that idea perfectly.

I had something far more prosaic to offer today...

Thematic Photographic 49: "Human" v.4.0

awareness said...

he's a lost mystic trying to find his way back to God. (have been writing a piece about this...not finished yet...)