Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Give me some skin

Windows-400
Detroit, MI
December 2011
About this photo: Thematic. Mirror, mirror. Here. Just because.
Hang around an airport long enough and eventually you'll find something compelling to shoot. Not that airport photography is the wisest of activities these days. In our post-apocalyptic, 9/11-influenced security-mad world, taking pictures in an airport could easily earn you a few hours of scintillating conversion in a badly lit interrogation room.

But when an old jumbo - actually, a 747-400 - presents itself right outside your window, you can either do nothing out of respect to the cop-a-feel-in-the-name-of-security crowd, or you can grab the camera, hold your breath and figure you can talk your way out of whatever comes next. I think you know which way I lean.

Every time I look at this shot, I wonder if the Boeing engineers who designed her ever appreciated what a wonderful piece of art they managed to create. Indeed, art happens everywhere so long as we choose to look in the right direction.

Your turn: Where else have you found art in an unexpected place?

4 comments:

Tracy S said...

That is a cool shot! I am glad you did not get interrogated for hours over it, at least I hope you didn't.lol You are so right...art is all around us. I love the way you always find it in everyday things that some of us may just look over.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and sharing your Saturday morning cartoon watching story :) Ahhh those where the days... when the only thing we had to worry about was which cereal to pick and what cartoon to watch..lol

Bob Scotney said...

That's a tremendous picture. I would never dare even get my camera out at Detroit!

21 Wits said...

Oh yes, you certainly know your way around reflections, and airplanes! It's amazing what one can find every where we go, as long as we open our eyes and look around, right!

Lisa Shafer said...

Wow. Great photo!