Sunday, April 22, 2012

RIM's future. My present.

I had another neat TV moment this weekend: I chatted with CTV Kitchener's Federico Cahis earlier today about what could come next for Research In Motion now that the BlackBerry maker has hired a law firm to examine its options.

My $0.02: The fact that they brought in a law firm and not a bank makes me think they're leaning more toward restructuring than a sellout. Which, if you've been hoping the home team pulls out a big win, represents a rare piece of good news. No guarantees, of course, as the firm, Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy, recently shepherded a major health care client through a $4.4 billion merger, but generally speaking, you bring in the bankers when you've completely exhausted every other option. This suggests there are still a few options left to explore.

Video is here.
Story here.

There's something very comforting about popping into the studio on a Sunday afternoon for a quick interview. I always leave the building thinking how lucky I am that I get to do this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How cool, Carmi! And a great presentation about a complicated subject.