Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Lunatic fringe

Four corners
London, ON
February 2012
Please click here for more faith-themed fun.























If you've ever hung around a synagogue, you might have noticed that folks wear prayer shawls during services. They're called tallit, and as you can see they have these neat-looking fringes - also known as tzitzit - hanging off of them.

I'm probably the most heathen Jew on the planet, yet I rather enjoy the physical trappings of the religion. They go so far back, and have been witness to so much of our history, that it's difficult for me to look at them and not appreciate their significance. That and they don't talk back or try to run away when you attempt to take their picture.

Your turn: Got any other garments or clothing that mean something to you?

4 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Fascinating shot. All that texture!

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I often wondered the significance of those shawls,that being said I found them quite attractive- they have a vintage look too them..Do the shawls also symbolize comfort? As far as garments that have meaning for me, I would have to say a crocheted blanket my mother made for my first wedding anniversary... I still have it.. Also, I kept an outfit that either I bought or was given for each child... I kept the sling that I carried my son in because it was one of the firsts to come out back in 1990 and at that time cost $65 which back then, I thought was a lot considering the fact that I did not know if the sling worked... I wished it had been marketed back in 1981 when I had my first... The idea of it is quite old and practical... wished I had the smarts back then to have thought of it!. Good post, Carmi, you got me thinking!.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I think I have some old tie-dies from Grateful Dead concerts stored somewhere.

;-)

sisterAE said...

I usually read your blog on my smartphone these days, but I made sure to take a look at this on a full-size screen. The bigger view of this makes all the difference! Love being able to see the shiny tzitzit up close like that.