Saturday, April 07, 2012

The yellow rose of...Georgia?


Looking forward, looking back
Somewhere on the I-75 in Georgia, January 2010
About this photo: Thematic continues to explore mirrors of all shapes and sizes. You can, too. Just go here.
I usually have about five minutes of shooting time when I'm a passenger in a car. That's about as long as I can last before motion-induced nausea sets in and I'm pretty much photographically done for the day. So I've learned to compose and shoot quickly before the world turns green.

In retrospect, this particular shot could have used a little more time in the oven. The more I stare at it, the more I realize the composition isn't quite there - likely because I grabbed it so quickly - and I probably could have spent a bit more energy cleaning it up afterward before sharing it here.

But that's the thing with photography - and, I'm guessing, any other medium that involves creativity and personal expression: It doesn't always have to adhere to an invisible set of rules, and it doesn't necessarily need heroic efforts afterward to make it perfect.

Because perfection is a moving target, anyway. And this picture tells a story of a bright afternoon in the car with my family, when the kids were reflecting on a vacation just-ended, the trip home, and whether we could turn the car around and head back to the beach. I doubt I'd remember the moment as well if I had taken the time to PhotoShop the living daylights out of the shot. Some things are best left well enough alone.

Your turn: Is perfection overrated?

3 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

DEFINITELY! LOL, what one considers perfection may NOT be to another person...Nothing is perfect as long as humans are involved...just like there is no such thing as a dysfunctional free family... We all have dysfunction to a degree because we are humans...

Steve Gravano said...

Is perfection a state of mind? I agree with Kalei's Best Friend, one person's idea of perfection may not be perfect to another. I found your photo very interesting before I read that it was made while you were moving. Now I like it even more. It shows some talent to be able to get that sharpness and control depth of field on the move.

Steve Gravano said...

"Do not be afraid of perfection. Never one to touch her." Salvador Dali