Friday, April 27, 2012

Holding the weight of the world

Union Station
Toronto, ON
December 2009
Click here to join this week's Thematic
For some reason, this particular picture, taken at the very front of Toronto's main railway station, reminds me of a temple. Maybe it's the columns, or the reverent, high-ceilinged attitude of the entire building. Whatever it is, you don't just walk through this place. You seem to experience it.

Whenever I'm here, I always try to slow down a bit to absorb even a small piece of it. I'm sure I get stares from folks rushing to make a train or a meeting, but I'm guessing if they had a bit more time they'd be staring up and around, too. Because eventually you run out of trains to catch and meetings to attend, and you're left wondering what you missed as you rushed from one to another.

Your turn: Do you have a building in your neck of the woods that makes you stop and think?

3 comments:

Ciera said...

It's not a building, but a bridge. One of our last wooden covered bridges. I have the hardest time walking across it, but I've gotten better/braver over the years lol It's just beautiful, from a time lost to us now. Simplicity.

Max Sartin said...

I would have guessed a church of some sort if you hadn't said what it was. Great picture!

Cloudia said...

Like Philly's 30th St Station.
I can still hear the space-sounds
in my head.




Aloha from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral

> < } } (°>