Monday, April 02, 2012

Prancing horses don't prance


Screaming yellow
Laval, QC, July 2009

We're wrapping up Thematic's branded week (click here) with a closer look at a Ferrari Testarossa that used to live in the parking garage of my in-laws' building. It was in fairly rough shape, driven by a mullet-wearing, leather-clad, middle-age-crisis kind of guy who barely knew how to drive stick and probably should have stuck with a Buick LaCrosse.

Sadly, the car looked lovely from 50 feet away but betrayed years of indifferent care the closer you got to it. Broken, condensation-filled lights, misaligned body panels, scratches, dents and dings everywhere, haphazardly applied bondo filler that looked more at home on a 78 Corolla sedan than on a 12-cylinder supercar from another era. Even when he started it up, the sounds were heart-wrenching. And engine badly out of tune, a gearbox that spent its time being crunched and ground to within inches of its life instead of meshing smoothly on some mountainous back road.

Depressing only begins to describe it. But it is bright yellow, which is as happy a way to start the week as I can imagine.

Your turn: Clearly this car belongs to the wrong guy. It deserves an owner who cares. So who should be driving a car like this?

One more thing: New theme launches tonight at precisely 7:00 p.m. Eastern. I'm still on the fence about a theme, so feel free to suggest something. Anything. Bueller. Thanks :)

4 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

New theme launches tonight at precisely 7:00 p.m. Eastern.

Just made it!
~

Mark said...

I can barely afford to maintain my 1998 Chrysler Sebring convertible that was given to us, so I can understand a little of what's going on with that guy. Not saying it's a good thing and that it is not a shame, but I understand on a certain level.

Max Sartin said...

That's an easy one - Me. :)
I'd have to sell the house to buy it and get rid of all my other cars to be able to afford to keep it up. But if I let my brothers drive it once in a while too, between the three of us we'd take really good care of it.

FilipBlog said...

I have considered buying a Ferrari once but I am not a mechanic and when I discovered what the maintenance would cost me, I had to let go a boys dream.

Greetings,
Filip