Sunday, August 12, 2007

Caption This 31


Please name and/or caption this image [See below for details]
Cambridge, Ontario, July 2007


Late on a hot summer's night, I found myself making the two-hour drive back to London on Canada's busiest highway with three sad kids in the back of the minivan. We had just dropped my wife off at the airport in Toronto. She was on her way to Montreal to help after her mom was hospitalized.

To cheer them up, we stopped for ice cream at a service stop. Our luck, they had a McDonald's. I know purists will be aghast, but their soft ice cream is just the ticket when the little people need a quick dose of happiness.

The good news is, it worked. They enjoyed their late-night ice cream break in a McDonald's by the highway, and they actually smiled a bit despite the hour and the circumstances. As we were finishing up, the garbage bin caught my eye. I found it ironic. But "ironic" doesn't make for much of a caption, now, does it? What does? That's your job.

Your turn: Please name this image. Click on the Comments link below and go nuts. Click here for the Caption This rules. I give brownie points to folks who drag their friends along for the ride. Just sayin'.

One more thing: Last week's Caption This featured a picture of a duck. Judy (aka Kenju) takes the cake with her very sweet - and thoughtful - caption: Harold had been taught to follow the leader.....and then he discovered he was it!

I loved these captions as well:
  • Mike Althouse: In serenity's wake
  • Yaeli: Going with the flow
  • Lori: Swim of solitude
  • John: No matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to out-paddle these ripples
  • April: Our past whispers us forward with mysterious symmetry
I do hope you'll take your best shot this week, too. Enjoy!

29 comments:

BreadBox said...

I have to say the obvious, right?
"Big Mac. Big Waste!"
or is that
"Big Mac. Big Waste! Big Waist!"

N.

Crazed Nitwit said...

No caption. Sorry but hey from Michele.

I've been on that highway. I used to live north of Detroit and my mom's family was all in Toronto. When I had my permit she'd let me drive all the way from Windsor to just outside the city. We always stopped at Hojo's for rice pudding.

Crazed Nitwit said...

No caption. Sorry but hey from Michele.

I've been on that highway. I used to live north of Detroit and my mom's family was all in Toronto. When I had my permit she'd let me drive all the way from Windsor to just outside the city. We always stopped at Hojo's for rice pudding.

Michael K. Althouse said...

It looks like a squared off, red Pac Man that has rolled over onto its side. So here's a lame caption... "Pac Mac."

I know it's weak, but breadbox took the definitive answer.

Michele sent me,

Mike

emaleejayne said...

McWaste!

Carli N. Wendell said...

Home.

flleenie said...

A wasted Big Mac Attack!

John said...

"Waste's mouth is always open"

Breadbox stole the obvious one :)

craziequeen said...

Just popped in to check out THE Caption competition around..
hmm...

'Big Mac - Where it belongs'....

I'm a purist. I loathe McD's with a passion.

We have a restaurant outside work and it is responsible for so much litter lying around - they have no consideration for society.

I wrote to them once, years ago, asking when they would be catering for vegetarians - they replied saying they were road-testing salads - SALADS!

So I don't use them on principle. But a random ice-cream for the kids is ok on a stressful drive.

cq

Jean-Luc Picard said...

The delivery basket to serve the McDonalds customers has just arrived.

Michele sent me.

Karen said...

Wow, great photo! It says so much. I kind of like it without a caption, so I won't even try!

Michele sent me your way this morning, Carmi! Hope you're well.

yellojkt said...

"Redundancy"

michele sent me.

I have some pictures of a Mickey Dees box from China. It's everywhere.

Meeta Banerjee said...

Augh, I can't think of anything clever. Perhaps I will later.

Anonymous said...

"Waste not, want not."

(Oh, c'mon, someone had to say it.)

JC said...

Billions and Billions...

Nestor Family said...

"Burp! But I ordered a quarter-pounder with cheese!"

Nestor Family said...

P.S. My caption was the garbage can talking... sorry, felt like mine needed an explanation.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

Don't let it go to waist!!!! :DDD

Elaine said...

No caption, but it is ironic. My first thought was Big Waste, Big Waist, and it looks like others had the same idea. We recently hosted a student from Japan for 5 days, and I wanted to introduce him to American food. In thinking about what to prepare, it really hit me that our diet is loaded with sweets and fats. This image conveys that well!

D.O.M. Dan said...

My kids enjoy going to McDonald's too. I hate to admit that we eat there too often. They did enjoy a special treat a couple of weeks ago when I took them to Baskin Robbins - after reading your blog enrty with a picture of your kids in front of the ice cream freezer.

I can't come up with a caption yet, but I'm thinking about it.

Jessica said...

I see a mouth here.
Trash talking.

rob said...

"In a bold move to corner a growing market of pessimistic consumers, McDonald's has launched it's new 'Truth In Advertising' campaign."

awareness said...

"Two all beef patties, special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onion in a sesame seed bin."

Not one of my best.....

I do have another song in my head and will have to rethink the words to it.....

I'll be back ;)

kenju said...

Thanks, Carmi! I had promptly forgotten my caption, but it is nice to know it caught your fancy!

I am back home now, and hoping to post daily.

Anonymous said...

Amen.

awareness said...

And so now my fellow bloggers....ask not what your Big Mac can do for you, ask what you can do for your Big Mac.

and a nod to JFK..... :)

Unknown said...

Mc Trash!

Chad Oneil Myers said...

"This will add to your waist".

awareness said...

Sooner or later, we all end up waisted. Some sooner than later.....