Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Valve job


Gassy
London, ON, July 2007 [Click to enlarge]


A little while back, I had a slight crisis of artistic conscience as I wondered whether I could find anything interesting to photograph in the supposedly soulless suburbs. (Click here for the earlier post.)

I need not have worried. While sitting in the middle of a mega-big-box development where huge freestanding stores are separated from each other by gargantuan parking lots, I noticed the natural gas fittings in the back of an adjacent building. I'll admit they're not in the same league as hundred-year-old handcrafted stone, but they're worth some camera lovin' all the same.

Your turn: What other treasures can we find in the middle of a parking lot?

13 comments:

Nestor Family said...

A shiny penny that someone dropped!

Anonymous said...

Random configurations of abandoned shopping carts...


Love your photo, btw.

Lori said...

Shopping cart close-up! I think that there are treasures all around us. It's all in the eye of the beholder, and you've shown repeatedly that you have a great eye for making things look unique and interesting.

Ellen said...

An empty parking spot close to your store destination.

Anna said...

hey Carmi! Love the lines and colors here! For me, anything my eye sees is game for creativity! :) The first thing I think of when I think of a parking lot? I need some chalk to draw!

Have a good one!

Jessica said...

Chrome in all its polished glory has to be the best thing I've ever found in a parking lot. That and the occassional puddle. Strangly puddles can rock visually....

Heather said...

Hubcaps or shiny chrome bumpers with the reflection of the crowd walking by. :-)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oil spots on the asphalt? (lol)
Cigarette Butts sitting in a pile? (don't you just hate that...?

Well, these are two possible things, my dear Carmi....!

David Edward said...

cars themselves can be artisitic.
i went to an antique car and hot rod show, here in Big bear, and filled up a gig of memory.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

great symmetry here, Carmi!!!! proves that one really need not go too far looking for inspiration.....:)

mamashine said...

I love this picture!

Was it American Beauty where he did the video of the plastic bag in the parking lot?

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Love the pattern there.

The painted signs on the parking lot are sometimes cool looking.

Carolyn said...

The way I see this, the pipes look like British Soldiers lined up between pillars or posts ;)