Friday, August 17, 2007

Stripped


That industrial glow
London, ON, April 2007

The scene: Our daughter's Medieval Days recital one evening in April. It's being held in her fourth grade classroom as parents and sibings crowd on chairs and benches that have been hastily arranged around the edge of the room.

I've taken as many pictures of her performing as she'll allow. As she heads backstage - OK, behind a castle-like barrier that the kids put up in their classroom - I look upward and see a shadowy strip of fluorescent track lighting. My curiosity is piqued.

There's something so, I don't know, industrial about the scene. So I shut the flash off and take a fast shot. My wife smacks my elbow and admonishes me to pay attention. I return my gaze and my lens to the stage as our daughter takes her position and begins to speak once more.

Your turn: Do your eyes wander at important moments in time?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My eyes played tricks on me at first, and I couldn't figure out what I was looking at!

My eyes do wander, yes. I remember a concert I attended at a tiny little venue and I kept looking up at the cobwebs in the rafters. I wanted to take a photo, but the music was so hushed, I knew I'd be found out.

Birthday girl-to be Michele sent me this evening.

Anonymous said...

Carmi - Michele sent me to visit you, which is a fitting end to my *own* birthday, I think...

My eyes do wander when they shouldn't, and I find myself staring at fixtures, walls, etc.

Sadly, it is never when I have a camera on hand.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Great story about this shot, Carmi.

Yeah, I was at my buddy's wedding last weekend. The church the ceremony was held in had these great horizontal panes of stained glass lining the walls. I had to take my eyes off of the action up front and observe the glass ;)

Anna said...

Nice. Love the shot. Totally something I would find interesting. I hope that you all have a good weekend there Carmi!

Sara said...

Of course, how else will I know what else is happening in the room, or where ever I might be. I am way to curious (some might say nosey) to not want to know what is going on around me all the time.

Have a super week-end!

Anonymous said...

All. The. Time!!

Unknown said...

Carmi: Yes. I think that is just human. How cool that this production was held in the classroom! I thought that was cool.

Anonymous said...

Sure. It happens. But some people do it more often than others. I like to think I never do. I'll be watching something then see something out of the corner of my eye. "Something shiny!" and my attention is drawn. :-)

Bernie said...

It may just be those times when the mind wonders, that you either see or hear, the strangest things...

Michele would have sent me if she was not enjoying her birthday I suspect!!

Prego said...

I've been smacked for playing around with the hymnal clip holders when I get dragged to a church at weddings.... and yes. They wander.