Monday, April 20, 2009

Memorably yellow petals


Touch of yellow
London, ON, April 2009


There's an underlying sadness to a flower's existence. Sure, it's lovely to look at and oh so closely connected with happiness, togetherness and love. But that beauty and meaning is tinged with a sense of loss, because it lasts so briefly before it's gone for good. Inevitably, time turns even the most perfect examples into crusty shadows of their former selves.

It's why I use photography to capture what they look like at their peak. And what it feels like to bear witness to it.

As I fiddle with the camera, my wife looks over at me and smiles. Suddenly, it all seems just a little more clear.

Your turn: As part of the latest Thematic Photographic theme, we're sharing floral photos all week long. I hope you'll pull one out that isn't necessarily perfect, but it evokes a memory, however mundane, that you don't want to lose. If you're just joining the scary-nutty world of Thematic Photographic, please head over here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

With yellow being one of my favorite colors I SO love this photo Carmi!

photowannabe said...

Really pretty Carmi...I was going to post another floral shot but I spotted a spaceship and had to post that instead. Come and see for yourself.

Anonymous said...

two bees on a tandem bicycle:
"Petal Faster"

Wendy said...

Ah, but you've forgotten that the flowers will bloom again. Seasons change and so do the flowers. Nice pic. I also love yellow. And flowers.

awareness said...

i was thinking the same thing this morning when i looked at the tulips i have in a vase on my dining room table. they were perfectly opened...and I knew the moment would be so brief.

Anonymous said...

I took my floral photos on Sunday afternoon. It rained all day on Monday, and the tulips closed up to protect themselves. I know when they open again, it will be for the last time.

Mojo said...

Gah! I've gone and gotten behind again!

I love how you describe the process. You're twiddling with the buttons and dials and meters and your wife just looks over at you and smiles. I know that smile. We all know that smile. That sad, pitying smile that says "Poor guy, he can't help himself... it's like Tourette's or something."

Yeah, there's a reason I'm single.

But I do still have a couple of Florals to finish out the week.

Thematic Photographic 45: "Floral" v.6.0Thematic Photographic 45: "Floral" v.7.0So what's up next? How about "Musical"? That could get interesting considering that we usually associate music with the ears rather than the eyes. but with a touch of imagination, you might just hear something in the images.

Or not.

Mariposa said...

Love this photo. Happy WW! :-)