Monday, June 01, 2009

One tree hill


Not seeing the forest
London, ON, April 2008 [Click to enlarge]


I've had one of those days when the writing that needed to get done simply didn't want to squeeze its way out of my head. News of the Air France crash in the Atlantic Ocean and the GM bankruptcy simply reinforced my Monday-ish belief that the world as I know it is sometimes covered with a tinge of grey that simply doesn't want to lift.

It's hard to focus on word count, audience and flow when you know people's lives near and far are either ending or being upended. Sorry, but this stuff affects me.

Thankfully, a couple of well timed walks with the dog and some up-close-and-personal time spent dancing to the new Pet Shop Boys in the kitchen (shh, don't tell my wife) snapped me out of my writer's pothole and got me back into the groove. In the end, I delivered everything I had to, and I'm pretty happy with the outcomes (see latest Betanews column.) I guess I needed a little perspective first.

If I've learned anything from today, it is that sometimes we need to strip the stuff that needs doing down to its simplest elements and not worry about anything beyond the one thing that needs doing. And sometimes, that simple solution takes a little longer to make itself apparent.

Your turn: Keeping perspective when doing so is challenging. Please discuss.

One more thing: Yadda, yadda, Thematic Photographic. Yadda yadda "single theme". Yadda yadda please go here to share your own vision.

4 comments:

lissa said...

If there's anything I have learned in recent years, it is that we have choices, and everything we do, and all that we are is a result of choices. Perspective in these awful times is truly difficult to grasp, but your techniques work, Carmi - dancing, photography, writing, dog-walking...no matter the substance, it's important to focus and make choices to do things that help even if it's just for a little while.

The headlines will return. The tragedies will unfold. People will snipe. And I understand the effect it has on you - there are days the news just flattens me. But I know that everything I feel can be handled through choices I make. So I choose to find something, even one thing, to distract me - or to help me cope - and that helps me to see silver in the lining again.

Hugs across the miles.

kenju said...

The vicissitudes of life affect me so much that I have stopped watching the news. Mr. kenju had to ell me about the plane today and I just couldn't bear to focus on it. I pray for those who are lost and their families. I have to choose to ignore some things in order to preserve my sanity and serenity.

David Edward said...

did you tweak this pic, or was the shading around the edges already that perfect?

Snaggle Tooth said...

I think mental acuity requires me to rest- often I can awake to know exactly what to write...

Very sound advice