Monday, June 22, 2009

Jon & Kate + 8 + Divorce = Enough

It's been a full day. I've written and submitted a bunch of stuff, set the stage for more writing tomorrow, and reviewed my talking points for a panel discussion on the imminent destruction of Nortel, a once-storied Canadian telecommunications darling, and now a pariah of everything a business can do wrong. (Canadian Press, Reuters.)

And as I quietly wrap up my note-taking and prepare to head to the studio, I see this in my Twitter stream: Jon and Kate Gosselin, the illustrious and thoroughly overexposed couple in that horrid "reality" television show, Jon & Kate Plus 8, are divorcing. (Also covered in that great bastion of journalistic quality, People.)

I won't give this thing any more ink than it deserves. In fact I've probably already given it too much. I just wish this thing would reach its logical conclusion so we could consign these folks to the dustbin of 15-minute-fame history. Maybe now that'll actually happen. Sooner rather than later. Thanks, TLC.

Of course, there's always another spotlight-seeking person/family/whatever waiting in the wings, confident he/she/they won't fall victim to the pressures of sudden fame. Yeah, right.

Back to life. Back to reality.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodbye Jon n Kate,hello Octo-mom.
See,she has 14 kids, 8 + the original 6. That's much better T.V.
Soon teenage girls will be giving up on emulating Hanna-Montana, and start having multiple births in the hopes of being on T.V.
Don't woory though, if they don't get a show, they will get welfare.
( Just like Octo-mom.)

Angeline Jolie
coming soon for your children

kenju said...

I am so sad for those children. The parents ought to be horse-whipped.

David Edward said...

don't you think the eight kids could use an opera singing nanny? I hear Susan Boyle is available....

Chrystal said...

Eight kids is enough, an opera singining nanny would send me over the edge.

Anonymous said...

Those poor children...

I can add to your day, Carmi: I checked msnbc.com right before I expected my husband to get home from work and read about a commuter train crash. I had a solid 3 minutes of panic-suppression until I received a text-message reply saying it wasn't his train.

Mojo said...

Sounds about as close to "reality" as "TV" will ever get to me. This is exactly why I rarely watch anything other than a hockey game on the tube. And now that hockey season's over...

Anonymous said...

Meh.

Unknown said...

Why would anybody say it that way, you can easily get your point across in a polite and courteous way. Lets all just get a long.
===========================
david
wow gold