Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Wordless Wednesday - Run it up the flagpole


One flag, one country
London, ON, March 2009 [Click to embiggen]


Oops: If you're looking for the latest WW entry (dated June 9), please click here.

This is the flagpole near the munchkins' school, captured somewhat phallically as I waited for the afternoon bell to ring. I found it amusing how many oddball stares I got as I walked right up to the pole and pointed the camera to the sky. I'm used to it by now, of course, but still wonder why it raises eyebrows.

Whatever. If it makes folks happy, then I'm only too willing to oblige.

This pic speaks to me, for some reason. Its defiant jab into an infinite sky seems to be telling the universe that even empty tubes of alloy can be magnificent for a moment if we choose to look at them from a slightly different perspective.

Your turn: This photo caps off our Thematic Photographic "single" week. There's still time to share your own. Just click here and go to town. I'll be posting the new theme tomorrow (Wednesday) at 7:00 p.m. EDT. It'll be:

Dusk

Please start your brains churning now, and don't forget to pop back in after 7 tomorrow to see the launch photo and post a link to yours as well.

24 comments:

Mojo said...

Brilliant angle on this shot. Soemthing so simple, rendered so elegantly. Masterful!
*sigh* seems like I'm always catching up on my links here. So to finish out the week, here's the last two Singles in the six... er... seven-pack.
Thematic Photographic 51: "Single" v.6.0Thematic Photographic 51: "Single" v.7.0

kenju said...

Mono is right. The angle is perfect!

Indigo said...

I love it!

Indigo said...

I love it!

NJ said...

Carmi, thanks for the nice comment on my San Fran post. I loved it there too and will definitely go back. You can look forward to my summer vacation to PEI where I plan to visit exciting locations such as the potato museum. Woohoo! I wasn't able to come up with a single photo for your single theme. The only one would of been of my daughter because she is in fact single. But she might not have found it that charming. Dusk should be more hopeful for me.

Mai said...

wow...lovely shot! What lens did you use?

Happy wordless!

David Edward said...

you did not have to lie down to get this?

Daisy Deadhead said...

That is freaking awesome!

I got stared at just taking photos of photos (see link below), so I can just imagine the looks you get too!

Some adorable doggies!

photowannabe said...

No brilliant caption or words to say , except that I do like the angle and the whole feeling of perspective.

Americanising Desi said...

it seemed never ending!
wow

happy WW

http://whenhekissesher.wordpress.com/2009/06/03/at-the-touch-of-a-rainbow/

Mariposa said...

Awesome shot! I love it.
Happy WW!

Mariposa's WW

Robin said...

I love it. It reminds me of a rocket launch, with that massive expanse of metal streaking off towards the sky.

Carleen said...

Talk about a photo with perspective, LOL! This is one amazing shot. :)

Happy WW to ya!

Deanna said...

Very cool! You should have someone on standby taking pictures of you taking pictures! It'd be fun to see how you look and capture some of those 'odd stares', lol Hope you're having a great week!

Gabriel said...

It's a great picture, Carmi. And I can relate to the looks you got... I remember when I lied on the street, belly up, to take a picture of the CN Tower... :-)

My post today...

Robyn Jones said...

It is a great picture...but I have to say I probably would have given you odd looks as well...LOL!

Amanda Guthrie said...

I agree, great angle and the blue sky is an awesome addition/contrast to the silvery pole!

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

Awesome, great perspective!

Anonymous said...

What a great shot. Amanda from Amanda's World sent me over here. I look forward to reading you :)

Barbara said...

Fantastic shot, Carmi!! I love the camera angle in contrast to the usual portrait line-up. This makes it seem even taller, infinite.

Maria's Space said...

Nice one Carmi!

Red Lotus Mama said...

Amazing angle and texture!

Happy WW! My Parents' Backyard http://tinyurl.com/nothar

Shelly said...

That's a great shot. I need to take my camera out with me more often. great perspective.

kayerj said...

love the shot.