Sunday, May 29, 2011

On broken people

The brutal irony of this particular quote has never been lost on me. Hemingway was, and is, a huge influence on my writer's voice. That he led the life he did and ultimately ended it so violently has long made me wonder about the demons that tormented him - and adds a particularly poignant and ironic twist to his words here.
"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are stronger in the broken places."
Ernest Hemingway
Your turn: How are we strengthened by adversity?

2 comments:

Cloudia said...

Sure hope I am, Carmi...




Aloha from Honolulu

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

lepifera said...

I am reading the short stories by Hemingway right now. The fragility of the human spirit is a given, yet so is resilience if one digs through the layers of our superficial defensive mechanisms. It depends on from what angle one chooses to look at life and at ourselves.