Monday, May 23, 2011

Thematic Photographic 147 - Got the blues


Scene from a diner
London, ON, May 2011

If you've got the blues, then I'm hoping you'll have at least one picture - and hopefully more - to share with us over the course of the next week. "The blues" can mean anything: The color blue, a feeling or tone that suggests subdued sadness, or whatever else you want it to mean. How you interpret the theme is entirely up to you, as there are no rights or wrongs when it comes to Thematic.

This scene is a perfect case in point. Yes, it's got lots of blue in it. But the downtown street corner scene - a gritty, colorful place that almost forces passers-by to become reflective - is what really sets the tone for me. I was in the area for the night-before-election-night rehearsal (see here and here for more on that grand television adventure), and as I had arrived a bit early, I decided to wander the neighborhood with my camera. The light was dim a grey - not ideal for any kind of shooting - but the more I shot, the more I realized how closely the results mimicked my mood: quiet, reflective, thoughtful.

It's what the blues are all about. And now we've got a week to explore them. Enjoy.

Your turn: Please share a blue-themed picture - new or already-posted - on your blog. Then post a comment here. Then visit other participants to share the photographic joy. Repeat as often as you wish throughout the week. If you're new to the Thematic thing, click here. Oh, and have fun. Because that's why we do this.

25 comments:

Gallow said...

I immediately thought of this photo when I saw today's theme.

http://gallow-photo-year.blogspot.com/2009/07/week-12-day-79-july-18-2009-tent-over.html

Steve

fredamans said...

I have a different take... so I showcased my favorite blue thing:

http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2011/05/thematic-photograohic-got-blues.html

GailB said...

Hey Carmi, hope you are doing well. Your "blue theme" caught my eye...it's my favourite colour. Here's an older photo I took in Paris of the Eiffel Tower, décorées avec des lumières bleues.
Towering Reflection

A Paperback Writer Photos said...

Since we just did the color blue in December, I had to think for a good take on this. I chose cemeteries.
Have a look:
http://apaperbackwriterphotos.blogspot.com/2011/05/photo-non-contest-147-got-blues.html

Mustang Sally said...

Blue symbolizes so many thing to us, we have a wide scope with this theme. You can see mine here

Unknown said...

Even with the dim lighting, this is a stand-out sight!

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

i found this last week which made me come over all sad ...

http://dennisthemennis.blogspot.com/2011/05/used-now-forgotten.html

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Well, u got me out of my blue moment for a short time... here's mine
http://afreshstartwithkalei.blogspot.com/2011/05/tp147got-blues.html

CorvusCorax12 said...

i like the look of the shop, looks like a place i would visit.
Here are mine

Anonymous said...

Didn’t have to reach too far to find one of my favorite photos for this theme.

Julie said...

Okay, I think I made it too simple, but you love what you love...right?

http://wishiwasonhigherground.blogspot.com/2011/05/blue-monday-challenge-147-from-written.html#links

Thanks for the ideas...Julie
Wish I Were on Higher Ground

Bob Scotney said...

Flowers to complement a bridge.

http://bobscotney.blogspot.com/2011/05/blue-infinity-thematic-photography.html

On My Soapbox said...

I think this guy has the blues for sure!

Glennis said...

Wow, I love the look of that place. Just the right place to go have a beer!!

I've got my blue - I found it in an unexpected place - looking for scenic photos, I found some surprise blue.

http://doves2day.blogspot.com

Alexia said...

I'm hoping to lift my own blue mood a little by posting these.

21 Wits said...

Great theme Carmi I enjoy so many kinds of blues.............!
Here's my post

http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2011/05/thematic-photographic-147-got-blues.html

Limarea said...

Hi Carmi! Hope everything is ok with you? I'm jumpin' on the train again :) Here's my blue contribution :)http://zestoflemons.blogspot.com/2011/05/waiting-for-my-ship-to-come-in.html

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

My favorite color!

And to humor me, my word verification is "unctions."

Mona Sweden said...

I got the blues early in the morning at 04.37.

Mark said...

It's been a long time coming, but here it finally is.

Max Sartin said...

As with the last couple of weeks, I'm a little behind the rest of you, but here is mine.

Catherine said...

I had a bunch of blue photos picked out, but then I spotted a typical piece of Christchurch humour, and I just had to post it instead.

Gilly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
srp said...

That last picture your daughter painted is gorgeous, the colors so vibrant. I am with you.. challenged by stick figures.
I chose a blue... a blue house... really, a strange blue house that my brother experienced -- yes, I think you really do "experience" this house on the Grand Canary Island.

Gilly said...

One day I will learn to put the right link in