Monday, May 30, 2011

Thematic Photographic 148 - Well Aged


All in all we're just another brick in the wall
London, ON, May 2011

Everything, and everyone, gets old eventually. We can soften the blow by shifting our language to more politically correct terminology - senior citizen, anyone? - but time doesn't care what we call it. Everything, and everyone, has its time, and it's up to us to make the best out of whatever we've been gifted.

Our mistake lies in assuming that beauty is strictly the domain of the young. There are compelling stories to be told in the things and in the people who've been around long enough to have a bit of experience. We just have to take the time to look for them. And to stretch our perceptions a little in the process.

Over the next week, I'm hoping this new Thematic theme will give us precisely that opportunity. "Well aged" can be a structure that's seen better days, a person who's got more years behind than ahead, anything that evokes thoughts of age and time. As always, it's up to you to decide how to interpret and reflect the theme. It's all up to you.

Your turn: If you're new to Thematic, click here. Otherwise, post a similarly-themed pic - or find something that's already been posted - and leave a comment here. Pop by other participants' sites to share the joy. Repeat if you wish...we encourage that sort of thing around here. The goal? To enjoy and learn.

19 comments:

tiff said...

my birthday is tomorrow. If I was a Scotch whiskey, I'd be nearly priceless, such is my longevity.

Well-aged I am. I hope. I think. Aged well, perhaps not so much.

Great theme.

Gallow said...

My neighbors' old barn is being taken down because it's dangerous and may fall over. There is great beauty in this barn. Here are the photographs that I have taken of it so far.

http://stevegallow.smugmug.com/Groton/Gamel-Barn/17163977_N4292B

Max Sartin said...

Here's my recently-taken well-aged photo, I took it just this weekend.

fredamans said...

Beautiful photograph.

Here is my take; http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2011/05/thematic-photographic-well-aged.html

Alexia said...

Cool theme, Carmi. I love your wall shot!

Here are my aged photos.

Elizabeth Grimes said...

Great title for this photo. Romantic and lovel.

Anonymous said...

Fresh shots taken just two days ago- late evening espresso in the Land of the Midnight Sun. Wondering how that pertains to “well-aged”? Click here!

Mark said...

I love old things - it was tough to decide what to post this week - I may have to double dip. Great theme as always. My contribution can be found here.

Mustang Sally said...

I'm like Mark, only worse. With such a great theme I don't think I can stick with just one SET lol. I'll probably be back with another but for now you can see mine here

21 Wits said...

Great photo Carmi for this really cool theme...oh my there are so many ways one could go with this theme! AWESOME choice! Here is mine

http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2011/06/thematic-photographic-148-well-aged.html

Melanie said...

My "Well Aged" photo

Cathy said...

I took this photo while visiting family over the Memorial Day weekend.
http://nccathy1.blogspot.com/2011/06/thematic-photographic-148-well-aged.html

Gilly said...

Loved this challenge! Here are mine!

Glennis said...

Nice theme. I have some photos from an event I attended last night, in a well-aged place!

http://doves2day.blogspot.com

srp said...

Not a well-aged car, nor a well-aged cheese... how about a well-aged marriage. Today is my parent's 60th anniversary... diamond!

Hooked on Memes said...

Great post!

My brother-in-law keeps a great cellar. Here are some of the well-adged wines he shares with us.

http://hookedonphotomemes.blogspot.com/2011/06/234-thematic-photographic-well-adged.html

Chibi Janine said...

I'm a sucker for steam engines. Until having my little boy and frequent trips to the train museum I never realised how much I loved looking at them. Heres a lovely well aged example that I got the chance to have a short trip on.

Mustang Sally said...

Had to have another go at this one. Care for a virtual tour of Charleston anyone? Go here

srp said...

I had this shoe and dog posted for "dirty" but realized that the shoes are cracked and soiled and yet, still wonderful feeling on the feet... that is well-aged. And Daisy, my rescue, is much older than we thought and with aches and heart trouble.. she is still graceful and definitely "well-aged". So here is another.