Friday, September 28, 2012

Blink...

I'm having one of those days. You know how it goes, where the next day begins before the previous one ends, where you keep eating into sleep until sleep simply has no room on the clock.

Thankfully it's a good day, and I'll share more on it later. For now, I'll leave you with an image from early this morning. I drove out through the darkened suburb at barely 4:30 am. I had already been up for close to a couple of hours, and had already finished and filed my first article of the day. My wife, bless her, had earlier watched over me while I napped for a little over an hour. Why? Because I was afraid we'd both sleep through the alarms. She's amazing like that.

As I turned onto the highway on-ramp on this cool, clear ungodly-early morning, an enormous, yellow moon stared out at me. It seemed to bathe the road in warm light. Indeed, I'd never seen so much light at this time of night. It struck me as beautifully odd and oh so memorable.

So I filed it away, snapping my mental shutter (no jokes, please) so I wouldn't later forget what it felt like to be precisely in that place, alone at the wheel on a magically lit road, at precisely that moment.

The rest of the drive into town was similarly rich, recorded with a level of hyperawareness that seems to kick in when I'm heading out to do media work while the rest of the world sleeps. It's all potential, then, and no one else around me knows what's about to play out. It's like I've got a neat little secret. And it makes me smile a little as I cruise through the night, and get ever closer to my destination.

More soon. The clock tells me my phone is set to ring again in a few minutes. Time to spin up and get ready.

Your turn: ever have a day that stood out from all the rest? What made it extraordinary? Can you paint the picture?

5 comments:

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

well yes, yesterday.....

21 Wits said...

Okay yes, one that stood out in a kind of "stop before you move save-your-life" kind of day. A couple of days ago I was driving on country roads, and had the right-of-way to turn (that dreadful left turn) the lane I was turning into had a stop sign (north and south directions) while we east and west folks had the right of way, well the man waiting for me to turn left so he could continue on, threw his hands up in the air like, "Are you nuts lady? Turn already!" Was it the beautiful day, or more importantly looking first before turning into another lane? Thank goodness this time for sure, because the car heading right at me, also with the right of way, was moving very FAST! Had I turned without pausing(BAM! SMASH!) and possibly worse, I looked again at the man and this time he put his hands on his face like OH MY Gosh! Knowing how some drivers can't wait, he might have even ventured out while I turned and well we both would have been creamed! So yes! That day still sticks out for me!

CorvusCorax12 said...

seen your face on CTV this morning, but i missed it , was right at the end.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I know what you mean, Karen.

EEK!
~

darlin said...

Carmi that's quite the day.

The one day which stands out for me, well truth be told parts of it are a tad bit hazy, is the day I returned from Australia. It was June 1st, my day lasted for 39 1/2 hours. I experienced two stunning sunsets which was a huge bonus as witnessing the sun setting is a wonderful reflective time for me. I reflected on the past four and a half months I'd just experienced, on what was to come when I returned to Canada, as well as the beautiful people I have in my life whom I missed immensely and was flying back to. It most definitely is a day which I will never forget, how can anyone forget a day which lasts that long? :-)

I hope you get some rest this weekend, take care and thanks for this post, it brought back a wonderful memory.