Friday, September 21, 2012

I did not wait in line

I didn't camp out on a cold sidewalk for days on end. I didn't join the legions of fans willing to put their lives on hold for the privilege of being the first of their friends to have the latest doodad. I watched it play out on Twitter, in the fleetingly few moments when I wasn't otherwise running on the treadmill that qualifies as my everyday. And I don't think I missed a whole heck of a lot.

Call me a curmudgeon. Call me an enemy of neighborhood kids everywhere. Call me an inveterate protector of my lawn (and please get off of it) but I never quite understood the appeal of waiting in line when, two weeks later, I could walk into any store, pull the latest object of mass market lust out of an overflowing pile of inventory, pay for it and be on my way in under 15 minutes.

I don't get the need to be the center of attention. I don't get the need to break an existing contract and spend hundreds of dollars in termination fees all for the sake of an extra row of icons and a slightly better camera. I don't understand why we define ourselves by the stuff we buy. I don't get the need to worship at the altar of consumerism.

Sure, I buy my fair share of so-called stuff. But I don't show my shiny new doodads off at parties. I use them. Hard. Often to the point of wearing them out. Because shininess isn't the point. Living a better life is. And I don't much care whether the things I hang off my belt or toss into my backpack define me as so-called cool or something decidedly less worthy of adulation. They're tools. Nothing more.

Because the moment people like me for what I have, instead of for who I am, I may as well call it a day.

Your turn: Thoughts?

8 comments:

Peter Anthony Holder said...

Carmi, you thoughts are bang on. I don't understand the concept of standing in line either! When the dust finally settles in a couple of weeks, what cache would you have by announcing to the world that you were in line for your latest phone?

Does that make someone instantly more impressive in six months or a year from now, as compared to the millions of others who will also have the exact same phone?

But, I will have to take exception to one point you made. I think the fact that you don't much care whether the things you hang off your belt or toss into your backpack define you as so-called cool, is what actually MAKES you cool.

So let me categorically state what so many people already know. Carmi Levy is cool!

PAH

Mike Wood said...

well said Carmi. I found the hype amusing. The Samsung Galaxy S3 commercials really make great points in their marketing with the Samsung owners talking to the Apple people in the line ups waiting.

Alexia said...

Weirdsters!

Unknown said...

A little anecdote. The evening before the Playstation 3 was set to release I went to various locations, wondering if I should line up. Everywhere I went there were already more people available than machines the store had in stock. Disappointed, I put my head down and went home. A few weeks later (still no PS3 in stores) I was out running some errands. Parked on a downtown corner was the Playstation bus, which I boarded. I was given passes and a wristbands for a free concert that night. My girlfriend beside me the concert ended and some Sony reps came out on stage, thanked the band and then proceeded to call out 6 numbers, the matching wristbands to win a brand new Playstation 3. And to think I almost stood in line all night to dish out over $700 for something I got for free.

Unknown said...

Carmi: If only people would stop and realize that happiness is being grateful for what we have. I saw the movie "The Intouchables" three times, and reviewed it. Here is the story of a quadriplegic who, more than anything he has lost, cherishes the friendship of a most unlikely soul. Your post reads like that movie. Well done!

CorvusCorax12 said...

i don't get it either, but i have to agree , think you are cool too :)

Kalei's Best Friend said...

the commercials online are killing me.. its definitely running on a loop!. the media doesn't help the crazed frenzy for this either!.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

i am now watching online how there are glitches w/this new version.. why is it that people do not realize there are glitches w/ANY new product? did u know u have to get a new charger for this model?.. I find it all pretty funny and everyone who has sat/slept in line the fools...