Monday, September 17, 2012

The towers that connect us

Pearl of the sky
Shanghai, China
May 2012






















I'd like to end off this week's "at an angle" theme* with a shot of something that isn't angled at all. The tower in the shot above, the Oriental Pearl communications aerial, is as straight as can be. But perspective can be a very neat thing, and standing ever closer to its base made everything look just a little off kilter to me. Straight tower. Twisted me. Truth be told, shooting this made me nauseous.

I've shot this tower before - see here - and that's the thing I love about photography. Different day, different place, different experience - as long as you have your camera with you, you can record not only what it looked like, but what it felt like to be there.

Your turn: Do you return to the same places? Do you like to re-shoot the same subjects?

* We're still taking submissions for last week's at an angle theme - here. New theme, retro, launches tonight at 7:00 p.m. Eastern.

3 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Yes, I love shooting Lake Siri.

When you look at it with the light a certain way, it's just a big, leaf-filled puddle.

But when the light is right, it's fantastic.
~

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I love the angle on this shot, Carmi.

I probably have way too many pictures taken along the river. My husband thinks I bring the camera in case we see wildlife, but the truth is closer to what you described in your post: "you can record not only what it looked like, but what it felt like to be there.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

love the angle(s) as well as the patterns and clean lines!. The pink is definitely a retro color!.