Thursday, September 06, 2012

The postman always rings twice

Hand delivered
London, ON
August 2012
Thematic celebrates old and worn. You can, too, by heading here.






















The march of technology means lots of little touchstones are almost constantly disappearing from our midst. Problem is, they do so fairly quietly, so we often fail to miss them until they're gone for good.

I admit I hadn't given the letter slot much thought until I took a detour while walking back to my car. Tired of the bustling main drag, I ducked down a tiny side street where century-old homes came right up to the sidewalk line. I slowed down and drank in the richness of this place. I particularly enjoyed how the front doors practically touched my nose...they don't make streetscapes like this anymore.

This letter slot struck me as particularly time-worn. Sure, it was crookedly mounted on an equally crooked door, and I'm betting it didn't do much for the house's insulation value. But I could still imagine what it must have sounded like each day when the postperson (another soon-to-disappear icon, I'll bet) dropped the day's load of letters into the unseen vestibule behind the door.

I know supermailboxes are more efficient. But they're just not the same.

Your turn: What other touchstones of the past are we losing to modern life?

3 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Newspapers, Carmi.
~

smalltownme said...

We've already lost the human connection of the newspaper boy/girl, who would throw the papers from a bike, and come around in person to collect once a month. Now it is a shadowy car at 4 am and an automatic deduction on your credit card. And the printed news has already been online for hours.

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

beautiful shot....now i'll go off and think about what we are loosing, but right now i'd like to linger with the letterbox