Sunday, September 16, 2012

They didn't say please

Money talks
London, ON
August 2012
I read recently that the urban landscape is vastly over-signed, that things would be so much simpler if we removed the vast majority of them from our midst.

I can't say I disagree, because even a simple walk down the street makes me feel like I'm back in kindergarten. Signs of every color and shape bark at us from every possible angle: walk here, don't walk there, do this, don't do that, give us money, forbidden... I get a headache just thinking about it.

I realize our planet is populated by a certain percentage of people who perhaps - now, to say this in a politically correct manner - need a little assistance figuring things out. So for them, a sign here and there is probably not a bad idea, as it could, say, keep them from careening into a cul-de-sac at superhighway speeds.

But for those of us with more than enough common sense to think our way through the day, it's a little annoying. Then again, this was a neat sign, so maybe I'm being unnecessarily ornery. Yes, that's it.

Your turn: The funniest sign you ever saw was...?

One more thing: This photo supports Thematic's "at an angle" theme. We're still taking submissions - here.

7 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Secret Bunker
~

rashbre said...

I like the sign in Southampton that says:

Caution : Slippery Slipway

There's also a good one in Essex on the A128 which says:

Secret Nuclear Bunker

There is actually a real nuclear bunker there too, its disguised as a bungalow.



Adele said...

I think a smaller font, allowing room for a "please" would have been nice! :) I did a post about a sign on our local hiking trail, asking hikers to go down a certain path, to avoid going through private neighborhoods. But, the people on the sign are going the wrong way. Makes me laugh every time I see it.

cactus petunia said...

I agree...some signs just make me scratch my head and say, "Really?"

laurak/ForestWalkArt :) said...

the thing that gets to me about signs...is when i see signs that have misspelled words in them! especially nowadays, with 'spell check'! (anyway, i have a 'page' on my blog of these sort of signs)

BUT the type of signs you're talking about...the one that sticks in my mind...is a sign i've passed a few times. a few hours from my home, heading west on a major highway...just before crossing a river, at the beginning of the bridge, is a sign that says "WARNING. THE SUN CAN BE BLINDING."

unfortunately, there's nowhere to pull over...and it's impossible to slow down enough to get a picture!! ONE DAY i will though...even if i have to park a mile away & walk!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

You've got me thinking about a blog post, now!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Giggling over the "secret bunker" sign...