Saturday, September 15, 2012

Where golf begins. And ends.

Line up the shot
London, ON
June 2012

Thematic. At an angle. Here.




















If you're a golfer, please don't hate me for what I'm about to write. I like golf, I really do. Just not enough to do it again.

In fairness, I've been out on a real course with real clubs, real carts and, yes, real balls. I enjoyed the experience of hanging out with friends on a perfectly turned out summer's afternoon. There was something cathartic about strolling through the carefully tended landscape and waiting for the occasional groundhog to waddle into the woods before we lined up our shots.

But for all the bucolic loveliness that is golf, it is overshadowed by my inability to properly aim the ball. I worry about clobbering someone, myself, or perhaps one of those sweet, oversized rodents. Mini golf is more my speed. The velocities and distances are generally a lot lower, and I'm not forced to define myself by my score or some arbitrarily defined - and super-non-PC-in-2012 - "handicap".

I know if I keep at it, I'll get better. But with an already-full life, I just don't see that happening anytime soon. For now, at least, I'd rather troll through the trails near our house without worrying where I parked the golf cart.

Doesn't mean I couldn't find an interesting way of looking at the course, though. You don't have to play something to appreciate its appeal.

Your turn: Do you golf? Why/why not?

5 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I get that aiming problem at some point in every round, and occasionally, it is for the entire round.

But! My best pics of deer and turtles come from the golf course, and there are other critters that you see there that are frequently shyly hidden away in the woods, otherwise.
~

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Um, you might do better if you used a ball instead of a cube! LOL

I've tried golfing and was embarrassingly horrible at it. Mini-golf is my preferred version.

People are often surprised that my husband doesn't golf, since he spent 21 years as an Army officer. He chose to spend his days off with his family instead, and the money that didn't get spent on this very expensive sport/hobby has enabled him to retire before the age of 50.

Kranky Granny said...

Sorry, I could never understand the thrill of chasing a small around a dozen acres of nothing and having to pay through the nose to do it.

Give me the mini-golf version any day.

Bob Scotney said...

Some of my best shots are on the golfcourse - shame they are not from my club.
When I was younger and playing hockey (field) and cricket I told my golfing friends that any b----- fool could hit a ball that stayed still. It's still true if it wasn't for that it doesn't always go where I aim.

Bernie said...

And thats a nice looking tee (the lawn, not necessarily the tee marker) there as well...

There is a saying tha, Golf - a beautful walk, spoiled by a little white ball which I find very true!

As a greenkeeper, the art of preparing a course, is nothing short of an artform...

Enjoy the game, both its good and bad!