Sunday, September 02, 2012

Seeing the world through a colored lens

Stained
London, ON
February 2012
Please click here to share your own parallel-themed pic


















I don't shoot enough stained glass. Need to change that, as it's the kind of subject that offers up almost infinite variation, taking on a unique tone depending on where the sun may be in the sky - or even if it's in the sky at all.

Which neatly describes why this shot almost didn't happen at all. That's because the one day that I had scheduled to come here with my camera turned out to be cold, grey and rainy. I was not pleased. Yet somehow the optical deities cooperated and let me escape with this - a nicely saturated shot of a piece of stained glass I've been staring at for years, yet never quite saw in this way.

Your turn: Turning disappointment into something sweeter. Please discuss.

8 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

This will make u laugh... My disappointment was in the person I was involved w/for about 4 1/2 years.. The sweeter side: I will NEVER,EVER, involve myself w/ a person like that in my life...

Linda Zimmerman said...

Nice shot, Carmi. I love the feel of an abstract colour study, yet still carrying so much warmth and meaning.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

One of my favorites post labels is "orbs".

It originated from taking photos that had an odd and unintended interaction between the flash and moisture (rain or snow, usually) surrounding my subject.

Now I often aim for that effect...
~

FilipBlog said...

Very good title with this picture.

Greetings,
Filip

young-eclectic-encounters said...

Love the photo- I call that Serendipity- when you go looking for one thing and find something so much better- I love it when it happens and it happens quite often to me when I just go with the flow
Johnina

laurak/ForestWalkArt :) said...

OOoooooh nice!! looking at the world through rose colored glass...or light blue, or orange-ish...

i'm easily amused...and easy to get side-tracked, so if i'm heading to see something or to get a specific picture...i might not make it to my original destination anyway! so much to see...everywhere!

21 Wits said...

You mean like- If life hands you lemons, throw them back and ask for chocolate? :)
I like what you captured even on a cold grey day!

Kranky Granny said...

Carmi, this was a great theme. I enjoyed it very much.

I love your stained glass window, MY husbands mother was a stained glass artist and made church windows for fifty years.

Wish I had that kind of talent.