Saturday, November 09, 2019

Charlotte's Web, redux?

Twisting in the beachside wind
Grand Bend, ON
July 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram
Let's throw it back to summer today, shall we?

Deep in the shadows of an overhang facing the beach in Grand Bend, a miraculous construction project evolves in virtual silence, ignored by the sun-seeking crowds far below.

It wouldn't take much for anyone to look up and take in the wonder of this simple-yet-not-simple scene. But there are sand castles to be built, volleyball games to be played, ice creams to be eaten, memories to be made.

Summer in these parts is short enough as it is, and most folks who come here look rushed from the moment they begin unloading the car. No time for frivolities like spiders and webs.

I'm not feeling much like most folks on this day, which, to be frank, describes me on virtually any other day, too. I've gone for a walk to find a hat for my wife, but as I often do, I linger along the way as my eyes seek out snippets I want to freeze and take home with me. My wife is a very patient woman.

As often happens, this scene stops me dead in my tracks. Countless generations of evolution have led this particular spider to this particular place, and as random as the web looks as it blows in the hot onshore wind, there are perfectly explainable reasons why it looks the way it does.

As I tuck the camera away and continue on my journey, I wonder what this planet would be like if we could be as singularly accomplished in our lives as this spider is in its own. Not possible, of course, but nothing says we can't strive to be a little more focused and determined along the way.

#grand #bend #grandbend #ontario #canada #beach #great #lake #huron #monochrome #spider #web #summer #nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #dslr #instagood #photooftheday #nofilter #nofilterneeded #photography #life #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: