Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Don't look directly into the sun

Connected to the horizon
Cancun, Mexico
November 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram
Shooting the sunrise can often be an exercise in futility.

Once the giant gasbag clears the horizon, the optical equation more or less falls apart. It is so bright - and so much brighter than everything around it - that even with the right filters, it's a tall order to get the kind of exposure that isn't a diverse mess of blown out brightness and muddy shadows.

But shift your perspective a little and you open up a few new doors for yourself. Like this one, where I decided the sun itself didn't need to be a part of the scene at all.

Instead, I zeroed in on the reflection marching all the way from the horizon line to my feet. Not even remotely conventional, but I'm not about to start being conventional now.

As I stood on the pier and stared into the distance, that single line of light made me feel somewhat connected to the massive celestial game playing out so far away from where I was. Which got me thinking.

The day doesn't always serve up concoctions that offer up the perfect light. Or taste. Or kindness. Or whatever other ideal it is that you're hoping to receive.

So we adjust. Shift perspective. Change our expectations. Even try something new.

And somewhere along the way, we learn that life isn't necessarily about getting what we want, but making the best out of what we've been given.

Sounds like the perfect way to start the day, even if it isn't what I originally had in mind when I first set out in the darkness.

#cancun #mexico #itrg #infotechresearchgroup #presidentsclub #pclub2019 #road #trip #travel #travelphotography #travelgram #explore #beach #sunrise #morning #photography #canon #canon_photography #canonphotography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: