Sunday, November 03, 2019

Why time deserves to be treasured

Tick...
London, ON
This photo originally shared on Instagram
I'm not going to complain about the time change this morning. For what it's worth, we didn't gain an hour of sleep, and the days didn't just get shorter. We adjusted some clocks and now the number is a bit different. No biggie. Time to move on.

See, yesterday I was idly wiggling the fingers on my right hand, and enjoying what it felt like to have motion, feeling, and control. Most of us do this subconsciously. I don't. I was amazed at how a conscious thought deep in my brain could translate into precise movement and feeling way down at my fingertips.

Stupid, I know. But I'll never be able to shake that feeling of wanting to move my fingers, but being unable to. Or the entire right half of my body feeling like dead weight. Of my mind commanding body parts to move, and getting nothing in return.

So when my brain decided to snap back into gear and reconnect to the right side of my body, I realized how lucky I was to have been given more time.

And I decided I wouldn't waste the time I had been given - bonus time, really - bleating about the time change. Or the weather. Or traffic. Or people who aren't kind. Or anything else that feels like a waste of it.

The universe gave me more time. I'm thankful for it, and want to honor that gift by using it with greater care than I did before my brain was felled by a few tiny clots of blood.

So if I don't engage in ritual complaining on social media, or engage with folks who just don't get it, now you know why.

Funny how the smallest things can have the most significant impact. I'm not going to complain about that, either. I'd rather celebrate it.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #photooftheday #monochrome #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #photography #lifeinthemargins #stroke #awareness #family #everything

No comments: