Friday, November 20, 2009

Taking a moment

Transitional sky
London, ON
September 2009


The interview (with CTV, on Twitter) was done. It had gone well, and after chatting with the producer I wandered into the parking lot. The studio sits at the top of a hill, so I had a perfect view of a post-sunset sky that while I was inside had been painted with colors that seemed to be new to me.

Instead of just driving home, though, I lingered. There's something to be said for taking your time when transitioning out of one thing and into another. Skipping a beat along the way gives the old brain a chance to reflect on what just happened, to file away the feeling and meaning of the experience before calling it a day. It's how I remember life.

This was one of those "before" days - my father died less than a week after this was taken - and as I reflect back on this serene moment alone on the top of a hill, I'm thankful that I slowed things down just long enough to remember what life was like before it changed for good.

Your turn: Do you take time-out moments? Why?

Please see here for more orange...

7 comments:

An Unconventional Mummy said...

Absolutely breathtaking...
We have had some amazing morning skies lately in London Ontario.

Cloudia said...

Transitions...from before to now....



Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Gallow said...

It is very peaceful. I love the colors. It reminded me of a recent photo a friend of mine took.

http://jenyu.net/photo/2009/11/20/moonset/

lissa said...

Just beautiful...I have inks I use on glossy paper to create that kind of thing - funny how often I'd say, if only those colors existed in nature. You proved they do.

My time-out moments are at Centennial Park - as you well know. I have to find a winter time-out place, though...my ducks and herons don't stick around (smart birds). But in lieu of outdoor places, my den is my cocoon. Always has been. It's cozy, comfy, and envelopes me when I need to just be.

Unknown said...

A heartfelt post, Carmi. Your photos are terrific, as always.

Mojo said...

This? Is why the word "gobsmacked" was invented. Adobe could not blend a gradient this fine if the fate of the known universe hinged on it. Awesome. Just awesome.

I'm not sure if they qualify as a "time out moments" but any time I get a chance to load up the camera and the Tonka unit and go photo hunting I take it. I need it, he loves it, and we usually come back with a bunch of neat stuff. For example:

Thematic Photographic 76: "Orange" v.5.0 - Fast, Hot Delivery

PastormacsAnn said...

Oh glorious sunset! What a magical moment you had the sense to wait and capture here. Makes me want to sigh with deep contentment.