Saturday, January 16, 2010

Dinner is (almost) served


Use the forks, Luke
London, ON, July 2009


Around my kids, a white napkin is never white for long. The pristine table is infinitely less photogenic once they're through with it. I don't share this as a complaint, mind you. It's just the way it is when you're a munchkin, and I'd have it no other way. If we're keeping track of the things that we treasure, listening to the chaos of mealtime is one of those little blessings that makes our family life memorable.

Who would have thought a simple place-setting could touch off this kind of thought? Neat.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband and the 14yo are away for a few days on a retreat. I'm finding it difficult to pull together mealtime for the rest of us in their absence.
The good news is, my oldest son has created a new sandwich and he cooked supper for 3 of us tonight.

Rinkly Rimes said...

A neat but elegant setting.

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

mealtimes we've had....
eldest used to fall asleep into his supper
2nd ate everything in sight
3rd threw everything in sight
4th viewed mealtimes as a major social occasion
5th?...i can't remember....he's thriving so i suppose it was all ok...?

napkins
so, does everyone use them?

Unknown said...

The napkins in my house seem to stay clean but the pant legs and t-shirts sure do get dirty at dinnertime...

Mojo said...

Who would have thought it? If someone had told me that someone could make a story out of a paper napkin and a fork on a red-checker tablecloth, I'd have said "You must mean Carmi". You see things most of us miss, and think thoughts most of us don't.

Which is why you can make a paper napkin and a fork on a red-checker tablecloth so compelling.