Friday, January 15, 2010

White wedding

Tiers of the future
New York, NY
November 2009
[Click photo to enlarge]
About this photo: Thematic Photographic is all white this week. If you're in a white mood, too, head here.
I suspect we're naturally drawn toward white because it's pure, unencumbered, in and of itself free of the usual biases associated with other colors (hot reds, sombre greys and blacks, happy yellows, etc.)

But that's only a suspicion. I do know that sometimes I see things that immediately capture my attention. And from that moment on, the wheels in my head begin to churn as I try, sometimes annoyingly to those around me, to somehow translate the images in my head into images that I can share.

I don't always succeed. But sometimes, sometimes, it works out. This is my cousin's wedding cake, shot in the middle of a raging party (the same raging party where our youngest took a nap.) As I reviewed the pictures when we got back to the hotel late that night, I was struck by the serene sense of peace and calm, and the sublime light and texture that, to me anyway, reflected a sense of hope for a sweet, fulfilling future for my cousin and her new husband.

Your turn: Wishes for a new family. Please discuss.

One more thing: Most of my pictures from this trip to New York, including this one, were captured on my wife's Fuji. I know it annoys her when I secretly drop it into my camera bag, but the truth of the matter is I like the simplicity of it all. It forces me to get back to the basics of photography, where I can't rely on super-sophisticated features, point-precise metering and crystal-pure glass to easily dial in the shot I want. Where I actually have to rely on my creative self to coax the unexpected out of a camera not really designed for the task. Not so long ago, before I brought the Nikon home, I was pushing an old Kodak point-and-shoot to within an inch of its life. The Fuji continues this weird journey, and gives me ample opportunity to reconnect me with why I fell in love with photography in the first place. I hope my wife understands :)

6 comments:

Cloudia said...

My FujiFilm A220 is my constant companion, Carmi.

Thanks for your kind visit. I'm often here, but don't comment every time.

You make my world richer.

Shabbat Shalom with Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Rinkly Rimes said...

I think one of white's attractions is the fact that it's nearly always reflecting another colour. Your delicious cake shows a hint of mauve.

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

I love this cake! and the fact you have made white and black look so warm and inviting. I always find cakes like this disappointing though, they look better than they taste, usually.

rashbre said...

I like the black and white depth on this one.

I agree also that there's fun in using sometimes simple cameras. Better to be with one than without.

Same with weddings. I've been to a couple recently as as a guest feel obliged to go low profile on the camera front, rather than turning up with heavy artillery.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

My blog's latest photo was taken on my camera phone... as it was the closest to hand :)

The cake looks lovely... A friend is getting married this September and I'm helping her research some things such as cake, favours etc.

Mojo said...

Ansel Adams once said that the most important component of any camera is the 12 inches behind it. This is a philosophy I've always been a proponent of. This photo reaffirms that statement once again. If you hadn't said it wasn't, I'd have believed it was taken under carefully controlled conditions with carefully controlled lighting and -- obviously -- much more sophisticated equipment.

Like the purity of white, there's a purity in getting the shot with gear that's aimed at the casual user. Especially when it's as good as this one!

Someday soon (or later) I hope to add a Canon Powershot G11 or S90 to my arsenal. It's not always practical to haul my DSLR, and I find that I miss a lot of shots for this reason.