Saturday, January 30, 2010

A watched pot never boils


Preparing...
Delray Beach, FL, December 2009
About this photo: Our Thematic Photographic "water in any form" theme continues its journey, and you can be a part of it, too, by letting your mouse follow this link.
Sometimes, a direct shot of something is too easy. Sometimes, you feel more than a little abstract, so only an abstract photo will hit that sweet spot in your mind and make you feel all is right with the world. Or so I hope. In this case, I didn't just want to share a pic of one form or other of dihydrogen oxide. Rather, I wanted to illustrate that the vessel within which it is held is often just as important.

Or perhaps I just liked the line of the pot. Or was it the way it reflected the light? Meh, I can't decide.

Yup, I've had a lot on my mind of late. Maybe I'll tell you a story when I have a moment...

Your turn: Is there any truth to the "watched pot never boils" thing? Or was my mother pulling my leg all those years?

7 comments:

fredamans said...

She was definitely pulling your leg. Eventually every pot will boil, someone watching or not.

MB said...

It will eventually boil but it takes much longer when it's being watched. I think it's stage fright.

Anonymous said...

It takes the same exact amount of time... it's your brain that takes longer just waiting. around. for. the. dumb. thing. to. boil.

rashbre said...

I was watching a pot just like that yesterday evening whilst I was making some dinner.

In my case I didn't actually want it to boil, so I guess the saying may at least sometimes be true.

Its good also to sometimes make time slow down and such things can achieve that.

Nishant said...

I think it's stage fright.

Work from home India

Mojo said...

Well... in a metaphorical sense, I'm finding that my current project at work is making time fly... mainly because I'm behind. This, however, is a good thing. Because I have a trip coming up in a couple of weeks that I'm so looking forward to...

Mojo said...

Heh. forgot to mention that I love this shot. And yeah, I think it's the curve of the joint between pot and lid that does it.