Monday, January 11, 2010

Do the wave


S-wave
Delray Beach, FL, December 2009
About this photo: We're sharing vacation pics all week long. This is where the fun begins.
While we were away, I spent an inordinate amount of time walking through the surf. I wasn't looking for any great answers of the universe, but I did feel a particularly strong need this year to find an additional level of contentment. Part of me hoped to close the door on a particularly challenging year, while another part of me knew that things don't always transition as cleanly as we would like.

Still, standing in the pounding waves and feeling their power was good for my soul. I let my mind go for what seemed like hours at a stretch, content in the knowledge that nothing beyond this very moment mattered. It had been a long time since I was able to simply let go, and it felt remarkably cathartic.

I didn't get any great answers that day. But that wasn't the point, anyway. Life doesn't always need a point. Sometimes it's enough to simply be.

7 comments:

daisy said...

I love walking in the waves. I think some of it is because I'm "middle of the land bound" and no oceans for many, many, many miles. Whenever I get a chance to see the ocean I go...and if I ever get the chance/money I'll probably try to live near one.

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

in think....maybe lots of people...could do with a little more Just Be-ing

snow enforced this situation

feeling better for it..........

Tracie Nall said...

I used to live near the water....I always took it for granted and never spent much time there. Moments like this I find myself really missing it.

There is something really satisfying to the soul about standing in the waves as they come in and out.

Rinkly Rimes said...

Maybe 'nothing beyond this moment' is the answer to a lot of life's problems. Your wave is unusual; it looks almost solid.

Mojo said...

I don't think I've ever seen a waveform like this one. Not only does it have the "S" shape, it appears to be breaking on itself. Like it's ... stuck there.

Love the exposure too, the fast shutter makes it almost look like ice even though umm... it's Florida... the only ice is in the drinks!

Let's see... what do I have for today? Oh yes, a bit of a laugh as I closed out the old year and looked forward to the new. Another shot from the best day of my recent memory.

Thematic Photographic 83: "What I Did On My Vacation" v.5.0 - No Kidding?

Jeannette StG said...

I agree -life just needs to be lived. Love that wave -never enough time spent on that!

cactus petunia said...

Wow, that's a powerful shot!
Happy New Year!