Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fields of red

As the rush comes
London, ON
March 2010
[Click to embiggen]
About this photo: Thematic Photographic's latest theme is "colorful", and if you're anything like me, I hope you're spending the week looking for color in all sorts of weird and wonderful places. When you find it, head here to share.
I've been exploring the neighborhood around my new office. It's out by the airport, in an industrial park whose "designers" didn't see fit to include sidewalks. Despite my aversion to being run over by the giant trucks that transport chickens on their one-way trip to the processing plant one block over (seriously...icky...I'll never eat another nugget again), I've been heading out to explore the area over lunch.

When I do, I like to take my camera. Rather, my wife's camera (shhh, don't tell her.) Because it's smaller and lighter, and I'd rather not shlep the DSLR to work with me - a little too conspicuous for now. Whatever I'm shooting with, I like to do the find-beauty-wherever-you-can thing as often as possible. It's so much more challenging to squeeze out a memorable scene in a relatively visually desolate place than it is when you're surrounded by inspirational architecture and landscaping.

Or at least that's what I like to tell myself as the now-empty chicken truck speeds by, feathers wafting to the desolate roadway in its wake.

I think I'm going to like it here.

Your turn: Finding beauty where no one else would look. Please discuss.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, I take comfort in the way you combine the reality of the world with your need to find beauty in that very REAL world.
Second? I just LOVE that image, Carmi. The textures and contrasts. It is so symbolic of your words.

Cloudia said...

I oft think of you as I take some add shot with others watching :)



Aloha from Hawaii my Friend!


Comfort Spiral

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

A truly beautiful image.

sage said...

Nice shot! I, too, like to check out new surroundings

MorahMommy said...

Now I know why I can never find my camera!!!

Beautiful picture as always.

xoxo

fredamans said...

I, too, have a thing for re-generating flowers. Some call them dead. I think there is beauty in all things.

Fantastic shot of Spring to come!