Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Thematic Photographic 93 - Windows on the world


Alone on a quiet evening
Toronto, ON, December 2009
[Please click here for details on how Thematic Photographic, our weekly photo sharing opportunity, works]

I've been shooting through windows ever since I can remember. Photographically, it's always a bit of a risk because depending on lighting conditions, the results can be anything but predictable. Stray reflections, dirt and optical distortion all stand ready to ruin whatever scene you had hoped to capture.

But from where I sit, a tough situation - in photography as in life - isn't an invitation to walk away. Rather, it's a call to dive in and see what happens. As we explore our new Thematic Photographic theme, "Windows on the world", for the next week, I hope you'll think about the challenges of pointing your lens through panes of glass, and the neat things you see because you decided to break the rules a little.

Your turn: Please share a window-themed photo on your blog or photo sharing site, then post a link to it in a comment here. Repeat as often as you wish: We'll be doing this all week long. For more background on how Thematic Photographic works please click here. To see other TP-themed entries, click here. And most of all, have fun with it.

10 comments:

Tracie Nall said...

I never feel alone when I am with a good book.....that is the only way I can eat by myself in a restaurant. Otherwise I feel nervous, like there is no where I can look except down at my plate.

Cloudia said...

OOOO!
I'm posting a window shot tomorrow. Do check it out, Carmi.


Aloha from Hawaii my Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Rinkly Rimes said...

I am reminded of a certain window on a certain date.

http://rinklyrimes.blogspot.com/2009/05/certain-window.html

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

Great theme!

Here is Mine

Peg Cherre said...

I actually posted a window-related photo just yesterday - perhaps I'm getting to be psychic?

It's not a pretty one, but typical of life here in the sticks.

http://secondwindjewelry.com/jewelry-weaving-blog/2010/03/cluster-flies/

Amanda Moore said...

Carmi this looks pretty darn good from what I can see. Your analogy of life and shooting through windows is so true both are tough and both can be managed if you work at it! This is an interesting subject for this week, one to make us ponder......

Amanda Moore said...

Ok mine is up it is here
http://www.moorebloglife.com/2010/03/18/thematic-photo/

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

oooo
like others here i too love snatching windows!
i will be returning....

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Carmi! I've posted an entry here.

Mona Sweden said...

The woman does look very lonely, but agree totally with Tracie. With something to read you can block the outside world and you don't feel lonely anymore.