Monday, March 22, 2010

Rub a dub dub


All clean
New York, NY, November 2009
[Click photo to embiggen]
About this photo: It's Thematic Photographic's "windows on the world" week. Got a window shot of your own? Head over here to share the melted-sand magic.
Hotel rooms aren't typically the kinds of subjects that make for scintillating photography. But I've never been a typical photographer - or a typical anything, come to think of it - so I often find myself cracking open the camera bag as soon as I get settled in one of these transient places (see here, here and here for earlier hotel room photo shoots.)

When I'm traveling alone, the exercise gives me something to do to feel a little more normal despite the distance from home and family. This time out, the reason for the trip was pleasure - a family wedding - and the kids were with us. Lucky for us, this room was a visual treat. So the munchkins became my partners in photographic crime and helped me scan the room: Our daughter thought the bathtub might look neat.

I know I'm biased, but she's got her mother's eye. Lucky girl.

Your turn: Memorable moments in an otherwise forgettable place. Please discuss.

4 comments:

Cloudia said...

Get her a camera!



Aloha from Hawaii my Friend!


Comfort Spiral

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

Memorable moments in an otherwise forgettable place?
At this time of the year, that memory is around me all the time.

Many years ago my family stopped off at a motorway service station. Maybe we brought sandwiches with us? Maybe we bought some food there? I can't remember. Can't even remember how long ago it was or where it was.
I can remember being so tired and weary....until i walked into the ladies loo/ ladies room/ lavatory/ ladies conveniences/ ladies toilets ( however on earth this word translates across the atlantic...)

Suddenly i was enveloped by the smell of blue hyacinth. It totally and utterly drove everything else out of my mind...and almost my lungs. I can remember propping a side door open for fear that the lack of oxygen would cause me to pass out and i'd be found,deceased but surrounded by a glorous smell which would blight my children for life.

The attendant of these ( very clean ) toilets had placed four, large, packed bowls of flowering blue hyacinths on the sides. They were magnificent....and totally overwhelming.
I left...but went back for one last smell before we left!

& i've never forgotten that experience....each springtime I'm a sucker for hyacinths in bowls.

S. Susan Deborah said...

Children are quite observant, clever and 'Oh-my-God'

Simple and neat post.

And I got to follow this blog.

Joy always,
Susan

Thomas said...

I love it!