Friday, March 12, 2010

No parking...for some

The more time I spend on this planet, the less I understand some folks.

I present Exhibit A, the driver of this black Lincoln LS who parked right in front of the front door of the local mall at precisely 8:27 last night. I'm certain she was aware of the fact that she was parking in a fire route - and partially in front of the wheelchair-access ramp - because as she got out of the car, she glanced around her car, then stared right at the sign, then at me before she averted her eyes from mine and, able-bodied older kids in tow, scurried in to the pharmacy before the big sale on baby powder was over.

As the image of a too-lazy-to-park-properly middle-aged woman wearing sweatpants with a ginormous logo on the behind and covered in entirely too much makeup (owl motif, I believe) burned itself into my protesting brain, I thought about the new normal of selfishness that makes something like this an everyday occurrence. How on earth did we end up like this?

I briefly entertained leaving a note on her windshield, but reconsidered when I realized the futility of a stranger's intervention. I guess some people will never learn.

So instead, I took this horrid pic with my BlackBerry before tucking it away and rejoining my wife in the adjoining grocery store. Later, as we headed back to our (legally parked) wondervan, this car was still there. Guess she needed a lot of baby powder.

Your turn: Impolite people...I hope you'll share an experience from your own orbit.

13 comments:

Christine Gram said...

The most common offense around here is people who throw their cigarettes into the drain. I hate this. There was a brilliant anti-litering commercial awhile back in which a passerby then picked up the butt and put it into the offender's drink. I have an urge to do that each and everytime.

However, I think illegal parking is a necessity in Italy.

bobbie said...

And where was the cop who should have ticketed her? People who park that way, or in a handicapped space, or taking up two parking spaces really get to me. They are absolutely sure THEY have that right, and would be very indignant if anyone called them on it - even a cop.
I don't think there's any cure for it. And they are raising their kids to be the same way. But they should all be towed.

daisy said...

That just irritates me when I see that. I always hope for a policeman to give them a ticket for parking in a fire lane but I don't think it happens all that much. She's really teaching her kids isn't she?

Anonymous said...

never an excuse to park in handicap parking NEVER illegal parking in a fire route not so good sometimes maybe necessary for couple minutes... clearly her ignorance must be highlighted for the amount of time her shopping or whatever took.. everyone today is quick to blame those teenagers for their bad manners or lack of ... hmmmm seems to me they are very smart kids they are learning exactly what the parent/adult role model is teaching !!!!

Mark said...

That lady is a selfish moron teaching her children to be selfish morons. Oh, and lazy. Good grief, with the laziness today.

I often take the first open (and legal) parking spot rather than wasting gas and time cruising until I find a closer one. It's better for the body and the planet. Those who physically can't do that, park in the handicap space and hold your head high.

tiff said...

Had a run-in yesterday with a rude driver. Somehow he felt I should drive well over the speed limit so HE could get to where he was going just that much faster. Needless to say, I didn't do what he so obviously wanted me to, because I LOVE irritating people. :)

David Edward said...

you are too kind. I would have laid a baseball bat on her windshield

Mark said...

I just wanted to let you know that when I visit your site I get a popup. I won't typed out the website and the site it suggests I visit, but e-mail me if you would like to know.

Amanda Moore said...

Carmi I see people doing this all the time in Calif, they make up their own rules on the road it is frustrating when the people that obey driving law have to see this, even if it does not effect me personally it really irritates me that they think they can get away with anything!

Robert H. said...

A $600 a month car payment doesn't include door fire lane parking access.

I should draft up some fake parking tickets that I can leave under their windshield wiper.

Carina said...

Reminds me of a mall playground where my sweet, gentle little boy waited outside because the sign said he was too tall to play where his sister could, while three large rowdy children ran around the equipment, knocking the other little ones over. Depressing to think about humanity, really.

Pearl said...

you gotta wonder. saw someone in our neighbourhood note the non-parking sign, and presumably presuming that only applies to the road surface, park on the sidewalk instead.

Pamela said...

the signs always apply to someone else -- not the self appointed "elite"

I think you should have put a note on her car alright... it should have said

what makes you think you can park your ginormous logo on the behind butt in a no parking zone?