Sunday, March 21, 2010

Words to live by

As the sun sets on yet another all-too-short weekend, I wake up from my nap and realize I've spent virtually every moment since Friday either sleeping or wandering through the house trying to get my wife and kids to feel pity for me. I don't tolerate illness very well, and something as simple as a head cold is often enough to turn me into an overgrown, whining and altogether annoying child.

Yet in spite of the near-total waste of the weekend, my little journey through the germ factory has given me ample reason to smile. My wife made more tea and soup than I deserved and let my neediness roll off of her like water on a duck's back. Our kids helped her keep the house on an even keel as they periodically popped in to make sure I was still coherent. Our dog stayed by my side almost non-stop. Somehow, dogs know who needs them most.

Further afield, my mom and in-laws called to see how we were all doing. A friend made me a care package and talked me through her time-honored home remedies. The social media world crackled with connectedness, too, another sign that goodness exists wherever we choose to see it.

I don't have anything earth-shattering to share as I slowly emerge from the fog of the last few days. But I came across this quote in my archives that seems to summarize where my slightly compromised head is:
"It isn't the great big pleasures that count the most; it's making a great deal out the the little ones."
Jean Webster
Your turn: Do you have an inspiring quote you'd like to share?

7 comments:

Christine Gram said...

I seem to be always reminding myself of this one:

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

daisy said...

I hope you are feeling better. I'm quite the bear myself when not feeling well and my family knows it is best to just leave me alone.

Tracie Nall said...

No inspiring quote here, but it's good to hear that you are feeling better!

fredamans said...

I have many quotes, I even host a meme on Saturdays on my book review blog, but I will leave you with this;

Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous. - Albert Einstein


Get well soon.

Mz Ginger said...

I have two - one is probably not a good one, but one that I tend to use frequently:

"Patience is over-rated"

The other comes from someone I consider a very wise man:

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those that mind, don't matter" - Dr. Seuss

Get well soon!

srp said...

I hope you are feeling better. You asked for inspiring quotes. I really loved this one.

"There is no surprise more magical than the surprise of being loved. It is the finger of God on a man's shoulder." ~ Charles Morgan

MorahMommy said...

I can attest to your whinnyness. You even came down to tell me you were whinny. I know dear!! :D

I'm glad to help get you on the road to good health!

It's nice to see you feeling more like yourself. I worry about you when you are down!

xoxo