Please caption this image
[Click here for instructions on how Caption This works]
London, ON, June 2008 [Click to enlarge]
In our headlong rush into the future, we often leave formerly advanced technologies behind, forgotten by our collective need to have the latest and greatest of anything. As the pace of change accelerates, successive generations of children never have the opportunity to wonder where all this wizardry came from, and what life must have been like beforehand.
This old phone sat quietly in a forgotten corner of our children's old school. The building has now been sold and this past week they started classes in their brand new facility. It has air conditioning, a real computer network and a host of other technologies the 80-plus-year-old building never could have dreamed of.
Indeed, our Internet-savvy, tech-fearless eight-year-old son smiles when we tell him about life before touch tone phones, voicemail and e-mail, when Google didn't exist (by the way, happy 10th birthday today, Google) and personal computers hadn't yet been invented. Now, even this relic no longer lurks in the dim corner of his classroom to remind him of a forgotten time.
Your turn: Please give this photo a worthy caption. Or two. Or ten. Enter as often as you like. Just click the Comment link below and have fun. Click here for the rules, such as they are.
About last week's picture of a man walking his cat: It seems I wasn't the only one who found this scene beyond weird. I'm so glad you had so much fun with it. Here's a quick look at this week's Honorable Menschens:
- Stacy: "Cat on a hot, tin....dock?"
- Lissa: "Who says I can't be a model? I've got my own catwalk!"
- Terri: "Of Mice and Men."
- Mama C: "Cat: Man's best friend."
- Sister AE: Superstitious Steve figured a white cat crossing his path would be good luck.
- Breadbox: Schrodinger discovered that somehow fluffy had escaped the box.
- Me: "Stay, Staay...Good Man...now COME!"
- Omykiss: Paws for thought ....
- Anne: You forgot your pole.