Saturday, September 06, 2008

Forgotten doorway

Enter here. Or not.
Montreal, QC
August 2008
[Click to enlarge]
We're still continuing this week's "faded" Thematic Photographic theme. We'll be doing this right through until next Wednesday, so you've got plenty of time to head on over here and submit your own. The next Caption This also goes up tomorrow - but you can still share a thought or two on last week's entry by clicking here.
Old Montreal is an interesting study in contrasts. The tourists tend to stick to the main squares and the Old Port promenade by the waterfront. But dodging busloads of camera-toting, kitsch-seeking visitors isn't really my bag. So as I walk through the narrow streets, I deliberately seek out the quieter back alleys. I grew up here, but it's such a diverse landscape that every visit deserves a fresh look from a different direction.

These streets are bathed in an old kind of gloom that doesn't seem to be part of any tourist pamphlet I've ever read. Yet I find the scenes and textures back here far more interesting than the cafe-lined square just a couple of blocks away. As soon as I see this door, I know it deserves a picture. It's obviously been around a while, and I could probably spend an hour deciphering the stories its weathered surface could tell.

Your turn: Please accept my apologies for my apparent door fetish this week. What is it about doors that seems to attract our attention?

10 comments:

Barbara said...

I happen to love pictures of doors also. I imagine the character they exude comes from all the characters' comings and goings over the years. Even new doors hold the promise of new life adventures beyond them. We do so much to make the doors welcoming from the outside; and we need to be sure that welcome extends beyond the thresholds.

Another blog that I follow is showing an interesting door and faded old gas pump this week. It's Time To Live has beautiful wildlife photos, also. It's worth a look for sure.

Nestor Family said...

There are things/people/opportunities/barkingdogs on the other side of doors...

Wendy said...

Looking at that door, I thought it was one of the doors from the old CP or CN railway station on La Gauchetier Ave.
But you tell me you're in Old Montreal - I haven't been there in years. It is full of atmosphere, though, isn't it?

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

I also love doors. I was collecting pictures of windows and doing a blog just about windows in photographs. Unfortunately it became too much for me to handle 4 blogs. I am now down to 2.

I think what we like about doors is first, they are inviting and second, they have a certain mystique about what is behind them.

kenju said...

Faded or not, I love the color of those doors!

Yaniv said...

"What is it about doors that seems to attract our attention? "

Funny, I was thinking exactly that when I saw the photo, before I read the rest of the post. I agree with the commenter director above -- it's the mystery of what lies behind that piques our interest.

Anonymous said...

"What is it about doors that seems to attract our attention?"

Why they are about potential, the what-might-be. They are like presents waiting to be unwrapped, while knowing that there might be a toy inside, it could also be underwear.

Door are cool, especially when they aren't the cookie-cutter, off-the-shelf at the home improvement store variety.

Anonymous said...

Just a note to say I'm enjoying this particular series. I've no special comment other than, for whatever reason, these photos have touched me.

Cheers.

Dak-Ind said...

you always have such great shots, visiting your page always seem sto inspire me in my own picture taking pursuits. thank you!

Digital Polaroids said...

I have an obsession with doors, you gaveme the idea for my next post.
By the way, cool door..!