Friday, September 19, 2008

Like snowy fingernails on a chalkboard


Patterns in the snow
Somewhere in the Rockies, March 2007
Quick note: We're digging into this week's Thematic Photographic theme, nature. Please click here if you'd like to join in - and we very much hope you do Caption This is also awaiting your photo-naming genius (here).
Sometimes, you look out the window and see something that reminds you what it was like to be a child. Heading home from a conference last year, I saw this through the plane's window and instantly thought back to a moment when, sitting in front of my snowbound house, I used my gloves to dig deep grooves in the snow. I sat for a while, staring at my handiwork, wondering what would happen in spring when the weather would warm up and the water would begin to flow.

I was master of my own little universe, then. Whatever I imagined was real to me as I waited for my mom to call me in for lunch. It was a peaceful place to be - no worries about work, life or the future. Just me and some snow.

Your turn: Ever see something in a landscape that instantly takes you back?

About this photo: I've been adding photos from my archives to my Flickr account because as much as I like to rage on about my ISP, I discovered that tey offer free Flickr Pro accounts to subscribers (never mind that I had to call and beg for it...in the end, I got it.

So thanks to frighteningly efficient uploader software and a fast Internet connection, I've now got thousands of images on Flickr. The blog? Not so many. If you've been hankering for a wider perspective on what I shoot, head on over here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/writteninc/) and have a mosey. (And no, don't worry, Written Inc. isn't going anywhere. Think of Flickr as a nice complement to my life as a writer/photographer/somewhat insane husband and father.)

4 comments:

Coach Paulette said...

Neat photo - looks kind of like marble tile or countertop! Can't stand the thought of fingernails on a chalkboard though - ugh!

Anonymous said...

I grew up in the northern part of Maryland where we were completely surrounded by mountains. Prior to a good snow we could see it shifting past the mountainous horizon from my grandma's porch; it was absolutely spectacular. Living in Kansas now, where prairie lands are bountiful, it is difficult to find a tender moment in the winter such as that. All we feel is the wind and then before you know it we're plowed with 2 feet of snow. Anytime I see a mountain my mind immediately throws me back to the times on grandma's porch when the snow was coming in over the mountaintops.

Thanks for allowing me to reminisce.

Robin said...

I love that image, it reminds me of the desert after a flood. Serene, but full of power.

Here's my take on the nature prompt.

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Very interesting shot. The scene that takes me back is wheat fields and windmills - to my Grandma's in Nebraska. It was about a 6 hour drive and we went to visit about 4-5 times a year. As I got older, I also got to stay for a few weeks in the summer. I'll have to find a shot like that.

Here is my second entry for this week's theme. I may be on a roll this week.