Monday, September 22, 2008

See my span


Strike a pose
Port Stanley, ON, September 2008 [Click to embiggen]

About this photo: We're covering nature as part of this week's Thematic Photographic extravaganza here at Written Inc. Don't know what all the fuss is about? Head on over here to see what you've been missing. For the latest Caption This, click here. This week, we're looking more closely at spiders from Mars. Or at least it seems that way.
I guess a part of me will always enjoy shooting birds. Not shooting, shooting, of course. Taking pictures, shooting. (See here, here and here for previous examples.) When you look really closely at birds in flight, you can't help but marvel at the subtle yet incredible level of control that they have over their domain.

We often marvel at the engineering magic of an airplane, but no smoke-spewing 737 can hold a candle to the way a usually-ignored birdbrain can ever so slightly curve a wingtip and change direction almost via telepathy.

The next time you're out in the back yard or sitting on the beach, I hope you'll take the time to take in the show. I think you'll be impressed.

Your turn: Seemingly simple things that can still amaze us if we take the time to watch. Please discuss.

10 comments:

Stacy Birk said...

Hey I saw the comment you post on my page and decided to check out your blog! Pretty cool! I worked as a journalist for a few years out of college and had a great time. I've considered doing it again. I'm glad I came across your blog.

Adventure girl said...

I will never tire of watching birds fly. Now I am going to try and take some photos of birds in my back yard and post them:)

Thank you so much for such kind words on my blog;)

Simple things...........babies! I NEVER tire of watching and touching babies. I have loved babies since I was a little girl. This last weekend it was evident that I am nuts over babies for their simpleness in the opposit way that lots of people are not interested in babies because they seem simple. I love their simple little hands, face, expressions and uncondictional love. Did all that just makes sense;)

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Wow! What a great bird pic. I can never catch them in mid flight like that! Love it!

tommie said...

Amazing flight shot! Always great to have your camera in had at the right time.

Gone said...

Is it a juvenile Bonaparte's Gull?

Lynda said...

I love bird photos - beautiful!

Beverly said...

If you go to my post about nature, I have some photos of birds. They're nothing special, but I have a link to a blog called Kayak Paddle Tales that has some amazing photos of birds at rest and in flight. You'll be captivated.

Mojo said...

That is one seriously awesome shot. And a perfect sky for a backdrop too. Astonishing.

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Clouds. I still love to lie in the grass and watch clouds float along a brilliant blue sky. So serene and calm.

Holly Schwendiman said...

Stunning.

Hugs,
Holly