Saturday, September 13, 2008

A face I could look into forever

My pensive one
Laval, QC
August 2008

My wife is another year older today. A day after we marked our daughter's 11th, we celebrated my wife's...well, you'll just have to guess the number.

She often reflects on how Dahlia was the best early birthday present imaginable. And I love how they get to share something like this. Another one of life's little wonders, I guess. Watching the two of them together, I'm always struck by the things that connect them, the bond they share. It may sound cliche to wax on about mother-daughter relationships. But I get to watch theirs unfold every day.

Dahlia's been coughing and feverish for the past couple of days. Today, doc confirmed she has bronchitis. So Birthday Girl Debbie spent much of the day hovering over our daughter, watching her temperature and keeping her comfortable. Not your typical birthday, but meaningful on its own merits because it typifies what an incredible mother and person she is.

Debbie believes that everyone's birthday should always be special. She fills the house with balloons and other decorations. She has just the right cake. She makes every moment memorable. I'm not quite as good at the birthday-management thing as she is. But with a little help from our brood, I hope we did all right by her this year.

Your turn: You wish for her in the coming year is...?

About this photo: Taken during a quiet moment last month. Like our children, Debbie is used to my photo-happy ways. No matter how many times I take her picture, I never seem to tire of looking at her face through my lens. I don't ask for much, of course. But a whole lot of years to keep taking pictures like this would be a good start.

14 comments:

Lynda said...

What a beautiful gift for your wife. She's lovely.

Lance said...

Happy birthday Debbie!

My wish for you: a year filled with the happiness and true joy of having your family with you. Through the good days, and through the bad day. Always there.

me said...

Happy 29th! My birthday wish for you this year is that everyone you know and love gets another year older, wiser, and healthier and you get plenty of time to nap.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

May you have many, many more years to take these pictures, my friend. And may you and she both continue to age so slowly!

Unknown said...

like Spring you bloom
into another year
a celebration of birth
and new beginnings

Happy Birthday Morah
I wish you health,
happiness & love
always

courtney said...

That you always think she's a face you could look into forever.

Lakeland Jo said...

Here's a wish for good health always!

Mojo said...

Carmi... you are a lucky, lucky man. Best of all, I can tell you realize that.

So my wish for both of you, this and every year, is that you are always as close as the moment you took this shot.

Happy Birthday, Debbie. And many, many more.

Sara said...

A Happy Birthday to you lovely wife.

My wish for you is that you have lots of photos and years to take them in...

I love the fact that you are such a romantic person...it just shows in your tributes to your wife and family!!!

caramaena said...

I hope she had a lovely day and my wish for the year is happiness.

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Gorgeous wife! How lucky you are. I wish for her continued joy and happiness for many, many more!

Anonymous said...

She's beautiful, and your words to her are inspiring.

May she find joy and peace in the coming year.

Barbara said...

This is a very late "Happy Birthday" to Debbie as the tropical storm formerly known as Hurricane Ike wreaked havoc in southern Missouri, knocking out our electricity for 27 hours. I hope it was a beautiful birthday weekend for both of Carmi's girls.

I love that we get to know your family. It warms my heart to read the stories and see the pictures of a family that is so loving and fun. Ya done good, Carmi!

Robin said...

A beautiful photo of a beautiful woman, but it's the obvious love that shines through every word you write about her that makes this image so special.

Happy birthday Debbie, and many happy returns.