Thursday, August 30, 2012

Best seat in the house

Table for 4
London, ON
August 2012





















I come from a city - Montreal - where the restaurant or cafe patio is part of the culture. Even on the hottest summer day, it's almost heresy to eat indoors. Air conditioning be damned, you will sit outside and drink it in, and you will like it.

The practical me often wonders what the appeal is, though. Between a hot sidewalk that practically radiates heat to cars whizzing by mere feet from your back, from pedestrians brushing past you to dogs sniffing your feet, I've never much understood the appeal. The wafting cigarette smoke (or worse) merely adds to the sweaty misery. Call me a killjoy, then.

Yet, on this day, in this place, this brightly colored table was just enough to make me, for a few seconds, anyway, consider plunking myself down and downing a cold one.

In the end, I passed on the drink, as sitting alone on a patio seemed just a little sad, but as you can see I still grabbed a picture before I headed on my merry way.

Your turn: The blonde lady in the pic is in an awful rush to get somewhere. Where's she headed and why the urgency? Play with it...

One more thing: Thematic. Parallelism. Here.

4 comments:

Thumper said...

She has to pee...at least that's why I would be in a hurry... ;)

Kalei's Best Friend said...

We have open eateries as well.. And I agree w/you... But in S.Monica they have outlawed smoking at open air restaurants..(yay)...A cafe that is so close to the streets where u will suck in exhaust fumes is not fun... Nor is it fun when passersby happen to cough, sneeze or .... right near your food or drink....I guess at one time it was considered chi chi to sit at those places... restaurants love it because it shows popularity and their food/drink can be viewed.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I'm with you, Carmi.

I like eating outdoors: when the weather is perfect and there are no bugs to bite or otherwise disturb you.
~

Patti said...

I'm with you. And you forgot to mention the bees. :)