Monday, August 13, 2012

Hideous? Your call.

Body by...Rustoleum?
London, ON
June 2012
Please click here to share your last-minute mobile device-sourced Thematic.
New theme, grey, goes live tonight at 7:00 p.m.

I've never been one who much cares about impressing others with the car I drive. Sure, I want to avoid owning a clapped out 1978 Ford LTD as much as the next guy, but I find it laughable that so many people think they'll be universally admired just because they pull up to the curb in a [fill in your favorite make/model here].

As long as my wheels are relatively reliable, safe, and they get me and my family where we need to go in one piece, and in relatively decent comfort, I'm good. If anyone admires or despises me for my wheels, I've got bigger problems on my plate. I'll let my sparkling personality, not my wheels, speak for me, thank you very much.

(FWIW, I love my car. It fits my family and my bike. It has a sunroof. It uses gasoline efficiently. It starts when I need it to. It doesn't wake the neighbors when I come home late at night.)

I think most folks fall into the car-doesn't-exclusively-define-me category. But then you cross paths with the folks who seem to have been born with an extra look-at-me gene. Some of them can easily afford a really nice car, and some of them...can't. And they'll either buy way beyond their means, or try to convert a more modest vehicle into something it clearly wasn't intended to be.

I'll never know what the owner of this Mazda MX-3 Precidia was thinking, but the word "why?" keeps popping into my head. Did someone think this was impressive? Will this help him (I'm totally betting it's a him) get the girl?

Didn't think so.

4 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

As they say, there's something for everyone... It is hideous but, the Ford marketing dept. evidently got one sale! lol....so u think its a guy? if so, maybe its a male trying to find his young self (again)and if so, his shirt is probably unbuttoned a few and wearing a gold chain around his buff chest... Just sayin'.....

Glennis said...

I can recall two hideous cars recently - there was an SUV that looked just like a hockey goalie's mask - like of a Hannibal Lecter on wheels. It think it was a Dodge or Isuzu or something like that

Then recently Nissan has come out with something called a Juke, which is a hideous, bulbous monstrosity with bizarrely placed headlights and bulging fenders.

21 Wits said...

Oh this is great! Sometimes you just never know! If you'd see the car my daughter drove in high school, you'd totally be posting it rather than this one (seriously) and I'm sure most people think even thought the back of her car reads "Cierra" that it has to be a guy's car! But it's not! Truth is in the airbrushing, hers pretty much describes what she was reading mostly! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm fairly practical when it comes to cars; I hate a monthly payment so avoid that more often than not. We stick with a vehicle for ages, thankful they hold up so well.

But after driving a van (and prior to that, station wagon) for close to 20 years, I was just a little to giddy to get a new (but used) sporty SUV. It's 7 years old but looks almost new...AND IT'S NOT A VAN!

I always think there are "issues" when people seem to need the latest and greatest. I know I shouldn't make that kind of judgment, but the thoughts do cross my mind.